cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox Sign link expires after 7 days ?

Dropbox Sign link expires after 7 days ?

RS2020
Helpful | Level 6

I have sent hundreds signatures requests via Dropbox Sign. 60%+ already signed without any problem but since Yesterday people started complaining the link is not valid any more. Multiple people informed me the "request new link button" does not work. Maybe the generated e-mail takes some time I have no idea. Somehow after 7 days the request link expires.

I don't see that setting anywhere. Can I adjust this somewhere?

The messages people get: 

Screenshot 2023-03-04 at 13.19.00.jpg

5 Replies 5

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @RS2020, how are you today?

First of all, let me apologize beforehand about the length of my message, I just want to make sure that I've covered everything. 

In regards to this Dropbox Sign link error that you get, it looks like your mail client is likely scanning the links in the Dropbox Sign emails as a security measure.

The links in the notification emails are essentially one-click logins, so when security systems access them to assess whether or not they are a threat, they actually use the one click available, which leads to the error you are seeing.

Since this error is being caused by a security system in place on your end, we are a bit limited as to what we can do to work around this. Do you have a different email address that you could use on your account? Keep in mind that this would need to be a different email address that does not have the same email security settings in place.

You may also be able to work around this by whitelisting the email address, and IP address that the Dropbox Sign documents are coming from. If you are able to make these changes, please see the following instructions:

Ask your email administrator to add hellosign.com and mail.hellosign.com to their approved domain list or to add our IPs of 143.55.224.101, 143.55.234.242, 161.38.193.231, 198.61.255.111 to their approved IP list.

Feel free to also add noreply@mail.hellosign.com to your contact list.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with, I’d be happy to further assist you!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

RS2020
Helpful | Level 6

Hey @Megan

I think I don't understand what you mean by "It looks like your mail client is likely scanning the links in the Dropbox Sign emails as a security measure. Since this error is being caused by a security system in place on your end"

To clarify: I am the sender. I have sent 1000 sign requests (Via Dropbox Sign / Hello sign to clients. This screenshot is from one of the clients. This message in the screenshot is not from outlook or Gmail but originates from Dropbox sign (hellosign) (Please see the URL in the screenshot). 

In this case the client was Using Gmail.

As you can imagine, I am unable to ask from all my clients to adjust their approved domain list.

I don't understand how Gmail can send the Hello sign message and make the link expire?

What is the advantage of adding noreply@mail.hellosign.com to my contact list?

Kinds Regars 

Thx!

Rich
Super User II

@RS2020 wrote:

I don't understand how Gmail can send the Hello sign message and make the link expire?

She's not saying that Gmail (in this case) is sending the message seen in the screenshot. She's saying that if the mail client/system on the recipient's end is scanning the links in the email, then that scan could be tripping the one-time validity of those links, which would cause them to expire and result in Dropbox Sign displaying the message you see in the screenshot.

You send a sign request to someone. The email they receive has a link to click on. That link is only valid once and then it expires. The mail client scans the link in the message to see if it's safe. It does this, basically, by opening the link and seeing where it leads and what's on the page. That link is now expired because it was already used; not by the recipient, but by the scanning process.

RS2020
Helpful | Level 6

Ok thanks for the clarification.

I Think I am starting to understand what is going on: 

- I send the first sing request in bulk. (possibly this is alarming the mail clients for a possible problem)

- After 3 days Dropbox sign is sending a reminder. (I think it disables renders the first sing request mail link)

- Some users forward the sing request e-mail (one of the two) to another person who is capable of signing.

- Some users sing request links are expired (maybe because they click on the first mail in stead of the reminder mail OR because Dropbox sign is limiting the amounts of openings/forwards) 

- People who have to click on the 'Request new link' button will receive the new sing request in spam because all the previous actions and maybe because Dropbox Sign is sending e-mails with the Hello sign mailserver (mail.hellosign.com). This is alerting many mail clients. It could be phishing. 

Is there anything I can do to solve this? 

Thx!

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @RS2020, can I send you an email, in order for us to have a closer look into this? 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?