cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Can not upload the file' error when attaching from Dropbox to Gmail on Android

'Can not upload the file' error when attaching from Dropbox to Gmail on Android

erlend w.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

When I try to add an attachment from dropbox to a mail in gmail, I receive a message in gmail "can not upload the file". This error occurs only on one smartphone with android 12. If I do the same , with the same dropbox and google account, on an other android phone (android 11 )or an android tablet, there is no problem. Both phones have the same app version of gmail

257 Replies 257

EvilParrot
New member | Level 2
Thankyou this was driving me insane. No idea why this workaround works!

Karen106
New member | Level 2
I'm using Samsung Email, have repeatedly tried to attach several PDFs from Dropbox, unsuccessfully. In the past, no problems.
How do I rectify this?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

HI @Karen106, this thread is related to the Gmail app specifically, if you're experiencing this issue in Samsung Mail, then this would be a separate issue. 

Have you tried any of the above steps to resolve it to see if this helps in that app?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Sedg
Explorer | Level 4
I had already figured this out, but it's a "work around" at best.
It still doesn't resolve the issue when you can't attach documents from Dropbox to replies or forwarded emails.
I just experienced it again so I know it hasn't been fixed.

I understand the change to the Storage Access Framework is preventing attaching of files.
I would also believe that Dropbox programmers, in conjunction with Android programmers, should be able to resolve this in some type of coding update, on either or both platforms.
Currently, I keep my business files on another platform that doesn't have this problem.
My other solution, and quite frankly a smoother work around, is to simply "save to device" any Dropbox files you need to attach. They attach fine to Gmail from my Android devices this way.
Is this known issue something the Dropbox team is actively working on to resolve?

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Sedg, hope it’s OK to jump in. 

At the moment, there’s not something else we can share on this, I’m afraid, other than the info provided here.

I've passed your feedback to our team though, so that they can also see your comments.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Firecrkr73
New member | Level 2
Thank you! That workaround worked for me too! The developers need to pin this response to the top of this thread for all to see!!!

jpp995
Explorer | Level 4

That didn't work.

MichelleB2
New member | Level 2

Hi, this solution no longer works either.  As a real estate agent I spend a lot of time on the road, and the ability to quickly send a file from my phone is a game changer.  The inability to send one is a game ender.

Pete08
New member | Level 2
Why can I no longer attach a file to an existing gmail feed. I can compose a file with an attachment, but this is no good if im replying to an email and trying to add a file. The only way im getting round this is by transferring files to my downloads and then attaching them. This kind of makes my dropbox account irrelevant.

nycregoddess
New member | Level 2

I think that's what Google wants - for you to move everything to GDrive.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    antolepore Explorer | Level 3
    mboeker New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?