cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: android 12 doesn't let me attach files directly from Dropbox

'Can not upload the file' error when attaching from Dropbox to Gmail on Android

erlend w.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

When I try to add an attachment from dropbox to a mail in gmail, I receive a message in gmail "can not upload the file". This error occurs only on one smartphone with android 12. If I do the same , with the same dropbox and google account, on an other android phone (android 11 )or an android tablet, there is no problem. Both phones have the same app version of gmail

257 Replies 257

DrVJMJ
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

A little less cumbersome is using the "hamburger" rather than choosing a file directly. If there were a way to attach files here I would do so with each of the steps illustrated.

DrVJMJ
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Unfortunately you can't attach files here or I would share the ones I have marked up illustrating the steps. But the key has been stated here several times. You start with the paper clip, But instead of choosing a folder from Dropbox you choose the hamburger at the top left, THEN choose Dropbox NOT by clicking on Dropbox but by clicking on the arrow or icon just to the right. This opens Dropbox and let you navigate and choose a file with checkboxes.  It's stupid and cumbersome but a lot better than downloading the files to your phone and cluttering up your storage. And a lot better than starting from Dropbox and sharing it from there to your Gmail which you may already have started to compose.  This whole change was so unnecessary and it was so intuitive before.

DrVJMJ
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Yes there are actually 3 workarounds.

One is to start from Dropbox and share it to Gmail. That's bass-akwards because most of us start our correspondence from Gmail and then want to attach a file as we have done with Dropbox and Gmail on our phones for years. So that one doesn't even count.

Another option is of course to download your file from Dropbox to your phone and then choose it through Gmail from your phone. This works but clutters up your phone with those downloaded files and Is even more cumbersome.

The third and preferred solution is to use the paper clip from Gmail but instead of choosing a directory or file from within Dropbox immediately by clicking on Dropbox, you go to the hamburger in the top left corner and THEN choose the arrow to the right of your Dropbox from which you can then navigate through Dropbox and select file or files by checking the boxes on the right and then the check mark at the top. Yes this works and it's less cumbersome than the other two, but it's still way more cumbersome than the original elegant solution. I have no idea why Dropbox can't restore that arrangement unless perhaps Gmail has made it difficult wanting this all to switch from Dropbox to Google Drive!!

Sigh!!!!

DrVJMJ
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

The hamburger is just the three horizontal parallel lines in the top left that typically indicate there are menu items when clicked.  After clicking the paper clip in the upper right of your Gmail app, then instead of choosing Dropbox choose the hamburger and from within the hamburger don't click Dropbox but instead the arrow to the right of Dropbox. This opens Dropbox and lets you navigate and choose files by clicking the boxes to the right of the file names. All very cumbersome and all very unnecessary and all very stupid compared to the original elegant solution.  It does work, but come on Dropbox!!!

DrVJMJ
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

If Dropbox is not listed along with Google Drive and other options for sharing, then the linkage between the Gmail app and the Dropbox app has not been established. You need to do this within the Gmail app.

Spcookie
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Unfortunately none of these suggestions work for me

Spcookie
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I don't have those hamburgers or arrows.

DrVJMJ
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Exactly!  The arrow workaround is fine and better than the other options but not better than the original more elegant solution!

Sandyprice
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Agreed!!

BenDBX
Community Manager
Go to solution

Hi Everybody,

I've spoken with our Engineering team about this, who have confirmed that the 'Attach from Dropbox' option no longer being available is the result of an update to the Android OS and Gmail app, specifically Storage Access Framework. This means that the option to Attach from Dropbox will no longer be available.

As others have stated, to attach files, you will need to select Attach File in Gmail, open the hamburger menu on the left, select Dropbox, then choose the files to be uploaded. 

Regards,

Ben

Need more support?