cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An Official Client for Synology NAS Devices

An Official Client for Synology NAS Devices

bigsky
Helpful | Level 6

Hi all,

I use Dropbox daily and I love it. As a part of my current setup, I sync the entirety of my Dropbox folder to my Synology NAS device, in order to have all of my data available to me locally, through LAN (my laptop doesn't have enough disk space to allow for that), and to be able to copy the Dropbox data elsewhere to serve as a backup.

Right now, I'm using Synology's official application - Cloud Sync - to retrieve the Dropbox data. I believe it works quite well (it has some drawbacks), but it would NEVER be as reliable as an official app. Since the OS that powers Synology units - DSM - is Linux-based, I hope this suggestions is not too much, as there's already an official Dropbox Linux client.

Thanks!

31 Replies 31

ScreenMachine
Explorer | Level 4

I’ve been really wanting to use Dropbox for a few years now as a backup solution.

Can’t backup external drives, so that rules it out on my Mac (and probably most these days given Apple’s pricing on SSDs).

Can’t backup my NAS either. So no Dropbox backups for me and no paid tiers.

How’s about you make it so I can use your services, which I’ll then gladly pay for?

opengineer
New member | Level 2

An official Dropbox app for Synology... Yes please!!!!

My problem is very similar to the original post, I want my mobile devices to sync photos and access files using Dropbox.  However, when I am home I want to have a NAS backup of my Dropbox that can also sync and operate as a joint workspace for devices connected to my local network (i.e. use my NAS to serve devices with low storage capacity, and leverage the benefits of low latency/high-bandwidth local network a rather than consuming ISP bandwidth.)

I bet this solution is more complicated to realize than it I think - otherwise there would be a user-friendly solution by now. Just put a pin in it, and keep on innovating! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

opengineer New member | Level 2
    ScreenMachine Explorer | Level 4
    pafel New member | Level 2
    Jayse Explorer | Level 4
    Emma Community Manager
What do Dropbox user levels mean?