cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Dropbox tips & tricks

Learn how to get the most out of Dropbox with other users like you.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove "available offline" in finder under folders and files

Remove "available offline" in finder under folders and files

Olexandro P.
Helpful | Level 5

Hello,

Does anyone know a way to remove the “available offline” phrase in Finder under files and folders?

First of all, the phrase seems completely useless considering it can be there along with the cloud icon that indicates that a file/folder is not actually offline but needs to be downloaded to be opened. Second, this useless phrase takes away the ability to show item info in Finder. I used to be able to see the number of files in a folder, the resolution of a photo, or the file size (if it’s an archive), but for some reason, Dropbox thinks that “available offline” is more useful than that.

I am surprised I could not find anything on this. It seems like I am the only one concerned with this issue. Maybe there is a simple toggle somewhere in the settings that I am missing. Unfortunately, today I found out that your files can be marked “available offline” but still be in the cloud, and that is a deal-breaker for me. However, my annual subscription just renewed, so I’d like to find out how to remove this annoying “available offline” phrase and see my file/folder info until I find a replacement.

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II

@Olexandro P. wrote:

Unfortunately, today I found out that your files can be marked “available offline” but still be in the cloud ...

Your files are always in the cloud but they can also exist on your local drive. In the past, that was how Dropbox worked; you have a local Dropbox folder that has your files in it, and they sync to your account online and down to other devices.

It wasn't until recently (relatively speaking) that you could mark files as Online-only, where they only exist in the cloud but leave a pointing on the local drive, or Available Offline, which is the same as how Dropbox has always worked, with your files local and in the cloud.

Even when your files are Online-only, if you open a file or interact with it in any way, Dropbox downloads it to your local drive and marks is as Available for a time. Your files need to be local to the computer before you'll be able to work with them.

... I’d like to find out how to remove this annoying “available offline” phrase ...

To my knowledge, there's no way to remove that phrase.

Olexandro P.
Helpful | Level 5

Thank you for replying, Rich.

I have been a Dropbox user since around 2011-2012, so I am aware of how it works. However, when the company makes a claim that something works a certain way, I take it for what it is without considering how it used to be in the past.

Removing the “available offline” phrase is my main issue. Please let me know if you think a solution exists.

Thank you,

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Olexandro P. Helpful | Level 5
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?