cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We just wanted to say thank you! Check out our customer appreciation video here.

Dropbox tips & tricks

Learn how to get the most out of Dropbox with other users like you.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Sync two drives but dropbox drive remaining only in one?

How to Sync two drives but dropbox drive remaining only in one?

ashishdhage
New member | Level 2

I have 2 Drives and E: which is named Music Production and General Life Drives respectively. Both drives have 10 folders each among which 6 of them from both drives should be synced to dropbox offline mode that is available on dropbox as well as offline locally and 4 folders must not be on dropbox and not hence not synced ever but only on there present on the drives. So now how do I sync 6+6 folders from both the drives to dropbox without moving anything. Please note currently that dropbox folder is in drive and I don't want to move the 6 folders to drive nor do I want to move from to E:. Since Dropbox drive folder is only one but there are two places/drive folder selections to sync to and still keeping them locally available what all workarounds are available? 

I searched all the internet but couldn't find anything. Please note right click > "sync this folder" option is not showing for inside dropbox folder as well as the and E: drive folders even if admin rights are given. Its my personal windows Laptop.

Also I tried this https://help.dropbox.com/sync/ignored-files and it works so possibly can us this for the 4 folders from both the drives to not sync, but still how to connect the one dropbox folder to two drives, please tell.

Also one more thing I want to have 1 among the folder to be in selective sync for only online mode from both the drives serperately.

Its been 15 days now and have been stuck on structuring my files and understanding dropbox and getting irritating, please resolve soon. 

Thank you

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II

@ashishdhage wrote:

So now how do I sync 6+6 folders from both the drives to dropbox without moving anything.

You can't. Dropbox will only sync files that are located in the Dropbox folder. You can use the Backup feature to backup other external drives, but you can't sync specific folders outside of the Dropbox folder.

ashishdhage
New member | Level 2
Then can't I take E drive which is a drive partition in windows and choose that complete drive as a backup drive feature enable and then use that ignored files link which i sent above to block the one and grey out which i dont want to be synced into dropbox hence D and E drive both will work accordingly...

See all contents of D drive will be in dropbox folder in D drive itself and i will grey out the 4 folders by ignore powershell code from that link. But can i include E drive as complete drive backup eventhough its outside dropbox but still be visible in dropbox all contents with green check on folder icon on all folders in E drive...??

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

I don't think that would be possible, @ashishdhage.

It would need to be an external drive, however, we appreciate the feedback here.

I'll make sure to pass this along to our team.

If you need anything else, please let us know!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    ashishdhage New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?