cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Dropbox for Beginners

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where are shared files?

Where are shared files?

SlamDuncan
New member | Level 2

I wish to create a shared file that could be updated by two people.

Where does that file exist? Is it my hard drive, the other party's hard drive, the cloud, or all three?

What happens if my device is switched off, and the other party updates the file? Will I know as soon as I log in?

2 Replies 2

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey there, @SlamDuncan, let's jump right into this! 

The first thing you want to do is to upload the file of your choice to your Dropbox account. 

If you use our desktop app, then the file exists online, and locally on your device, inside your Dropbox folder. 

Once you do that, you can share it with the other two people, using these steps. Now, if someone else edits the file, you should be able to check for any updates once you're logged into either your account online, or your desktop app. 

If you have any questions, let me know! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Graham
Community Manager

Thanks for visiting the Dropbox Community! I've moved your post here to our Dropbox for Beginners group because I think this information could be really helpful for other people who may be new to using Dropbox. The group is brand new, and we'll be answering lots of questions like this, and also posting helpful guides and tips and tricks to help everyone get the most out of their Dropbox account. So, if you'd like to keep up to speed with these, be sure to join the group! 

I can see that @Megan has already answered your question here, but I just wanted to follow up with some additional information. First of all, to create a file that both you and someone else can update, you will both need to have a Dropbox account, if the person you are sharing it with does not have a Dropbox account, they will only to be able open and preview the file, but not update it.

When you have created the file, it will be automatically saved as "available offline", this means it will exist on the cloud and also on your local device, taking up space on your hard drive, you will be able to open and update it without an internet connection. However, any changes made while working offline will only sync to other devices, i.e., the other person who you have shared it with, when you are reconnected to the internet. You also have the option to make the file "online only".  If you do this, it will only exist online and sync to your device, and anyone else you have shared it with's device, through the cloud. This will not take up any space on your hard drive, but you will need an internet connection to open and edit it. You can find out more about making files "online only" here.

Making files available offlineMaking files available offline

You should receive notifications about any changes made to your online files, these notifications will be highlighted by a number in a red circle on the Dropbox icon located in your menu bar (Mac) or taskbar (Windows). So, if you have been offline or had your device powered off, these notifications will appear once you are back online. You can also manage these notification by clicking on this icon, then clicking on your avatar or initial and selecting Preferences on the dropdown menu. Go to the Notifications section and you will see an option for Edits to files, make sure this is turned on to keep up to date with all changes made to the your shared files.

Notification settings in PreferencesNotification settings in Preferences

I hope all of this information helps, if there’s anything else you would like some assistance with, please let us know.

Thanks again for posting on the Dropbox Community, and have a great day!
Graham
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Graham Community Manager
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?