cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Dropbox for Beginners

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't find my Excel files after logging in to Dropbox on my mobile app.

I can't find my Excel files after logging in to Dropbox on my mobile app.

gnkwang
Explorer | Level 4

My friend set up the Dropbox account on my laptop under user/gloria/ Dropbox. I have a lot of excel spreadsheet stored. I can easily find them. However, when I sign in on my cell phone to drop box, I can’t find most of the files on my laptop. My questions: 1. Are those excel file stored only on my laptop? Is it automatically stored on my drop box account? I paid extra for Dropbox storage but not taking advantage of the storage. 2. How do I erase file on lapstop and only store them on Dropbox? To allow more storage on my laptop. 3. If files only store on Dropbox, is it safe?

2 Replies 2

Mark
Super User II

Hi @gnkwang 

1) you need to make sure you are working on the files and editing them INSIDE the Dropbox folder - they wont sync if they are anywhere else. You also must have Dropbox running and be using the same account on the computer and mobile.

2) Have a look at https://help.dropbox.com/sync/make-files-online-only - however, note that to work on the files they WILL need to download locally first.

3) Yes, but, as with any system and any service always have multiple backups. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

gnkwang
Explorer | Level 4
Thanks . Mark. I’ll look into it. So much to learn for someone like me that barely know much about technology, just try to get by! Hahaha
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

gnkwang Explorer | Level 4
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?