cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I delete photos on my phone gallery, will they remain on Dropbox?

If I delete photos on my phone gallery, will they remain on Dropbox?

Pbpb
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Trying to start fresh after factory reset I don't want old photos on device phone gallery app I rather have old photos that are backed up on Dropbox cloud storage and keep phone gallery free for new photos not photos that are backed up on device

Do not want to share phone storage for old photos and videos I would like to have phone storage for new stuff only and cloud storage for old stuff only
If I delete photos on phone it will delete that same photos on cloud I do not want that I do not want old stuff on phone it would be pointless of cloud storage if old things are on my phone no point in online storage

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Pbpb, I'd be happy to answer this one for you! 

Once you backup and upload your content to Dropbox, you're safe to delete them off of your photos gallery on your phone. 

The files will remain safe with us, and you can make up space for new pictures on your phone's storage. 

I hope that clarifies, let me know if you have any other questions. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Pbpb, I'd be happy to answer this one for you! 

Once you backup and upload your content to Dropbox, you're safe to delete them off of your photos gallery on your phone. 

The files will remain safe with us, and you can make up space for new pictures on your phone's storage. 

I hope that clarifies, let me know if you have any other questions. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Pbpb
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
OK meghan thank you so I definitely can delete photos from my phone that has been backed up on dropbox and delete on phone with out deleting on dropbox storage just making sure before I pay subscription storage on dropbox as I currently paying 1tb each on both Google photos storage if so that would be fantastic who wants to share storage with old and new photos and still pay online

Oh one more question sorry videos I have struggled to upload videos on Google drive saying its failed or video can't be played is this the same with drop box are videos and audio files straight forward Google not the same as it use to be
Thank ever so much

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Pbpb, thanks for writing back.

I'm not entirely sure I understood the first question about sharing storage. Can you give me a different explanation please, so I can grasp the idea of it?

As for the second question, you mentioned Google drive, which isn't the same with Dropbox. Did you try previewing the files on Dropbox and had any issues doing so? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Pbpb
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Sharing phone storage as I'm my photos online and photos on phone are sharing the same storage of my phone device on my phone if I have 200 gb on my samsung there for online cloud and photos not backed that are on my phone are sharing my phone storage

Example

If I take a selfie now it is not backed up it stays in my gallery app on my Samsung phone it there for is a new photo of me on my phone taking storage now if I have a selfie of me taken ten years ago and is backed up online cloud storage that photo of me ten years ago is also on my phone hence both photos old and new are on my phone sharing that same phone storage in my gallery app on my phone I do hope that make sense

My second question was

On my Google photos cloud storage I tried to upload a video and when it uploaded completed and successful of being uploaded I go to locate the file and the video can not be played for what ever reason I do not no

I was wondering if drop box is going to be the same as this as I am struggling to back up my videos to Google drive and Google photos

Is drop box complicated like Google has been lately I do not mean to sound rude I am simply trying to simplify word by word so it is clear of the sharing storage aspect of old photos and new photos on same app on samsungs default photos location on the phone itself
Thank you I just want my stuff backed up with no complications

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Pbpb

When you take a picture, it takes up some of your phone's storage space indeed. However, if you upload the content into your Dropbox, and then delete it off of your camera roll, then the picture would only take up some of your Dropbox storage. 

As for your second question, you shouldn't be having any issues with Dropbox when it comes down to previewing your content. 

If you have any other Dropbox specific questions in mind, let me know. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Pbpb
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Thank you that's all I wanted to know thank you yes I will sign up to drop box how would I transfer my uploaded content from Google photos and Google drive my mac Pro screen went blank so no PC or software to use only phone at this current time my uploaded backed content from 2016 to 2022 will I be able to transfer years of photos and videos to dropbox from my phone
I don't want to sign up for another subscription if not able to transfer from Google to drop box if I need to have a PC base platform to do this

Thank you for your time And understanding it is appreciated

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No problem at all @Pbpb!

Have a lovely weekend ahead,enjoy! ❣️

Megan
dropbox.com/support

VPT
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

On the contrary. In my case I would prefer to have deleted photos on my cell to got deleted also in Dropbox, for cases likes bad or useless photos. So, I won´t need to delete them twice

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@VPT wrote:

In my case I would prefer to have deleted photos on my cell to got deleted also in Dropbox

That's not an option.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    VPT New member | Level 2
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    Pbpb Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?