cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We just wanted to say thank you! Check out our customer appreciation video here.

Dropbox Replay

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Replay Python API

Dropbox Replay Python API

juanjo4martinez
Helpful | Level 5

Hey team! 

We've been using Replay in our VFX studio for a couple of months now and it's working pretty well. Thanks for sharing this tool with us!

The only thing that we miss is an integration with the Python API, so that we can automatically send files to Replay, and even change their status to Approved/Pending Review with our in-house tools.

Is it something you are working on? Any plans for the near future? It'll be awesome.

Thanks for your time!

4 Replies 4

Graham
Community Manager

Hi @juanjo4martinez,

I hope you're having a good day! Thank you very much for posting here in the Dropbox Replay group. We're delighted Replay has been working well for you and we really appreciate this feedback, I've passed your message onto the Replay team and we'll come back to you with an update soon! Just out of curiosity, I was wondering what industry you are working in and what kind of projects are you using Replay for? 

Thanks again, and have a great weekend!

Graham

juanjo4martinez
Helpful | Level 5

Hey @Graham,

Thanks for your reply. I'm the Supervisor of a small VFX (Visual Effects) studio. We have a team of 30 artists working on shots for our upcoming short film, and we've built some tools that work inside the 3D software and allow them to save a quick video of their progress and upload them to our shared storage on Dropbox.

Then I have to manually get those versions into Replay, so that me and other Leads can check them out, leave some notes and update the status of every shot.

We've been looking for ways to do this automatically - the tool we use to send videos to Dropbox should (ideally) be able to submit those version for review, and be set as "Pending review" or something like that, so we don't have to spend 10-15 minutes every day submitting them one by one.

That's why I was asking about a Python API Integration. I'm sure this will be helpful to many people.

Looking forward to that update! Many thanks 🙂

Graham
Community Manager

Hi @juanjo4martinez,

That sounds like really interesting work your team are doing and I'm delighted to hear that Replay is helping to make some of the processes a little easier for you. Also, thanks for clarifying how this request could help, it sounds like the integrations could really speed things up for you even more and I really appreciate you taking the time to fill me in. As soon as we've got an update for you, we'll let you know!

Have a great day!

Graham

Megane Racat
Dropbox Product Manager

Hey @juanjo4martinez,

Just to make sure I'm on the same page, are you talking about the Dropbox Python API? Right now, it's not something we're actively planning, but it's something we might look into down the line.

It sounds like what you really want is to have Dropbox files automatically sent to Replay and queued up for review, am I right? Do these files usually live in a certain folder in your storage? I'm thinking, maybe it would be even easier if new files added to a "Pending review" folder could automatically upload to Replay. What do you think about that idea?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megane Racat Dropbox Product Manager
    Graham Community Manager
    juanjo4martinez Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?