cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Dropbox/Microsoft Co-Authoring Beta

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can't add a Dropbox (Beta) location

Can't add a Dropbox (Beta) location

mark537
Explorer | Level 3

We are 365 licensed as academic A1 and A3 licenses.  I do not have the option in Word under Open -> 'Add a Place' to select 'Dropbox (Beta)'.  Are our licenses able to use this feature?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Choi Hyun
Dropbox Product Manager

Hi,

You can still add Dropbox as a place in the Office apps even after Windows update. And if you're interested in co-authoring beta program, you can join the waiting list here.

Microsoft confirmed these are the licenses that support desktop co-authoring:

For Business -

M365 Business Standard, M365 Business Premium, and M365 Apps for Business

For Enterprise -

M365/O365 E3 & E5, M365 Apps for Enterprises, M365/O365 G3 & G5

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Rich
Super User II

@mark537 wrote:

I do not have the option in Word under Open -> 'Add a Place' to select 'Dropbox (Beta)'.  Are our licenses able to use this feature?

If you've received the Dropbox for Windows update, then adding Dropbox as a place in Office is no longer possible. The new update makes use of the Microsoft Cloud Files API, and the  Microsoft Office Add-in is no longer supported on the Cloud Files API.

Telxon
Explorer | Level 4

So what's the solution? Is this Dropbox Microsoft Co-Authoring Beta DOA? We can't sync changes as described in the Beta notes? If so, this is the single biggest disappointment we've experienced with Dropbox. They even recently had a webinar promoting what a game-changer this will be -- and it will be  if it does see the light of day.

Mark
Super User II

There is a new version coming out. But, its an opt in beta and very very limited - it seems to be to Business users only. 

See https://www.dropbox.com/en_GB/app-integrations/microsoft for info

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Telxon
Explorer | Level 4

Aha. That's us! We're a Dropbox Teams company and we ARE in the new beta -- which is apparently different than the one you're describing. In fact, I was able to enable the beta for our team after following the instructions we were sent more closely.

mark537
Explorer | Level 3

So for the rest of us that actually want to use these feature in Windows, how do we get it set up?

Telxon
Explorer | Level 4

If you're a business user, reach out to your Dropbox rep or customer support.

I can't speak for Dropbox, but if you're not a business user, I'd say hang in there. I suspect it will get widely released after the beta is closed and it reaches general availability.

Choi Hyun
Dropbox Product Manager

Hi,

You can still add Dropbox as a place in the Office apps even after Windows update. And if you're interested in co-authoring beta program, you can join the waiting list here.

Microsoft confirmed these are the licenses that support desktop co-authoring:

For Business -

M365 Business Standard, M365 Business Premium, and M365 Apps for Business

For Enterprise -

M365/O365 E3 & E5, M365 Apps for Enterprises, M365/O365 G3 & G5

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Need more support?