cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

move_batch API Request getting "relocation_error" "conflict" status

move_batch API Request getting "relocation_error" "conflict" status

Greater Than Consulting
Explorer | Level 3

First let me start off by saying that I am not a coder. I just see patterns and typically figure out how to make things work. 

I'm using Zapier to do a number of automations. One task that I'm needing automated is the moving of all files from one folder to another. Zapier does not have a clickable function to do this, so I have to use the "API Request in Dropbox" function. It took me a little while to get it sorted out. It appears to me that the API call is being submitting successfully to Dropbox. However, no files are being moved

I'm getting the following response body:
{".tag": "async_job_id", "async_job_id": "dbjid:AABI_8Adka7HHdIhvnANDgxZMG9kXDqa6_M1KyZTm30Jbhz2aiVxD8VFgfzmP_mtp6rDex6Tnrl9oWhAaUVLdXmV"}

When I POST to https://api.dropboxapi.com/2/files/move_batch/check_v2 with the job id info the response body is:
{".tag": "complete", "entries": [{".tag": "failure", "failure": {".tag": "relocation_error", "relocation_error": {".tag": "to", "to": {".tag": "conflict", "conflict": {".tag": "folder"}}}}}]}

---------
To provide as much info as possible, here are the logs for the initial move_batch_v2 API post. I just copied and pasted from the "test results" window in zapier. I notice some of the label info is doubled when pasting below.:::
:magnifying_glass_tilted_left: Full Response Data :magnifying_glass_tilted_right:
:magnifying_glass_tilted_left:_full_response_data_:magnifying_glass_tilted_right:
request
request
Request Method
method
querystring

Request Headers
headers
Request Headers Content Type
content-type
application/json
Request Body
body
{ "allow_ownership_transfer": false, "autorename": false, "entries": [ { "from_path": "/Greater Than Consulting/Offers/SocialBusinessBot/Clients/RV Shepherd/Topic 1 Used", "to_path": "/Greater Than Consulting/Offers/SocialBusinessBot/Clients/RV Shepherd/Topic 1" } ] }
data
data
Request Data Allow Ownership Transfer
allow_ownership_transfer
false
Request Data Autorename
autorename
false
entries
entries
from_path
from_path
/Greater Than Consulting/Offers/SocialBusinessBot/Clients/RV Shepherd/Topic 1 Used
to_path
to_path
/Greater Than Consulting/Offers/SocialBusinessBot/Clients/RV Shepherd/Topic 1
response
response
Response Status
status
Response Headers
headers
Response Headers Cache Control
cache-control
no-cache
Response Headers Connection
connection
close
Response Headers Content Encoding
content-encoding
gzip
Response Headers Content Type
content-type
application/json
Response Headers Date
date
Fri, 05 Apr 2024 06:28:34 GMT
Response Headers Server
server
envoy
Response Headers Transfer Encoding
transfer-encoding
chunked
Response Headers Vary
vary
Accept-Encoding
Response Headers X Content Type Options
x-content-type-options
nosniff
Response Headers X Dropbox Request ID
x-dropbox-request-id
4cdb7db0c2314dd3a586d95167b5e410
Response Headers X Dropbox Response Origin
x-dropbox-response-origin
far_remote
Response Headers X Frame Options
x-frame-options
SAMEORIGIN
Response Headers X Server Response Time
x-server-response-time
Response Body
body
{".tag": "async_job_id", "async_job_id": "dbjid:AABI_8Adka7HHdIhvnANDgxZMG9kXDqa6_M1KyZTm30Jbhz2aiVxD8VFgfzmP_mtp6rDex6Tnrl9oWhAaUVLdXmV"}
data
data
Response Data Tag
.tag
async_job_id
Response Data Async Job Id
async_job_id
dbjid:AABI_8Adka7HHdIhvnANDgxZMG9kXDqa6_M1KyZTm30Jbhz2aiVxD8VFgfzmP_mtp6rDex6Tnrl9oWhAaUVLdXmV
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

You can see what the result/error means by referring to the documentation, and clicking through the nested types as needed. For instance, from the /2/files/move_batch_v2 documentation, this 'failure/relocation_error/to/conflict/folder' for the entry in the complete.entries means that the entry was not moved because there's a folder in the way.

That is, in this case, the item at "/Greater Than Consulting/Offers/SocialBusinessBot/Clients/RV Shepherd/Topic 1 Used" was not moved to "/Greater Than Consulting/Offers/SocialBusinessBot/Clients/RV Shepherd/Topic 1", because there's already a folder at the path "/Greater Than Consulting/Offers/SocialBusinessBot/Clients/RV Shepherd/Topic 1".

I see that you said you're trying to make something for the "moving of all files from one folder to another". Note however that the Dropbox API does not directly offer a way to do that. I'll pass this along as a feature request, but I can't promise if or when that might be implemented.

The Dropbox API, such as the /2/files/move_batch_v2 endpoint, allows you to specify one or more items themselves to move. For instance, if "/Greater Than Consulting/Offers/SocialBusinessBot/Clients/RV Shepherd/Topic 1 Used" refers to a folder, then specifying that as the "from_path" when calling the /2/files/move_batch_v2 endpoint would move that folder itself (including its contents), not just all of the contents of that folder.

And the "to_path" would need to be the full path (including both the parent folder path as well as the file or folder name of the destination inside that parent folder) of where you want the item moved to.

So, if you want to move all of the files inside one folder to be inside another already existing folder, you would need to send a list of entries with an object containing a "from_path" and a "to_path" with the full path for each file you want to move when calling the /2/files/move_batch_v2 endpoint. The API v2 Explorer can be useful for prototyping/testing calls like this. You can click "Add" multiple times to create multiple objects in the "entries" list, and fill those in and click "Show Code" to see what the resulting code would look like.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

You can see what the result/error means by referring to the documentation, and clicking through the nested types as needed. For instance, from the /2/files/move_batch_v2 documentation, this 'failure/relocation_error/to/conflict/folder' for the entry in the complete.entries means that the entry was not moved because there's a folder in the way.

That is, in this case, the item at "/Greater Than Consulting/Offers/SocialBusinessBot/Clients/RV Shepherd/Topic 1 Used" was not moved to "/Greater Than Consulting/Offers/SocialBusinessBot/Clients/RV Shepherd/Topic 1", because there's already a folder at the path "/Greater Than Consulting/Offers/SocialBusinessBot/Clients/RV Shepherd/Topic 1".

I see that you said you're trying to make something for the "moving of all files from one folder to another". Note however that the Dropbox API does not directly offer a way to do that. I'll pass this along as a feature request, but I can't promise if or when that might be implemented.

The Dropbox API, such as the /2/files/move_batch_v2 endpoint, allows you to specify one or more items themselves to move. For instance, if "/Greater Than Consulting/Offers/SocialBusinessBot/Clients/RV Shepherd/Topic 1 Used" refers to a folder, then specifying that as the "from_path" when calling the /2/files/move_batch_v2 endpoint would move that folder itself (including its contents), not just all of the contents of that folder.

And the "to_path" would need to be the full path (including both the parent folder path as well as the file or folder name of the destination inside that parent folder) of where you want the item moved to.

So, if you want to move all of the files inside one folder to be inside another already existing folder, you would need to send a list of entries with an object containing a "from_path" and a "to_path" with the full path for each file you want to move when calling the /2/files/move_batch_v2 endpoint. The API v2 Explorer can be useful for prototyping/testing calls like this. You can click "Add" multiple times to create multiple objects in the "entries" list, and fill those in and click "Show Code" to see what the resulting code would look like.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?