cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

list_shared_links API inconsistency with team folders: Only showing edit OR view link, not both

list_shared_links API inconsistency with team folders: Only showing edit OR view link, not both

athithan
Helpful | Level 5

I'm encountering an unexpected behavior with the list_shared_links API (https://api.dropboxapi.com/2/sharing/list_shared_links) when working with team folders. I hope someone can provide clarification.

Issue:

When listing shared links for a team folder that has both edit and view links:
1. If both edit and view links exist, only the edit link is returned in the API response.
2. If I remove the edit link manually, then only the view link is returned.

But, if I pass the specific path it return both links

Details:
- I'm using a team access token.
- I'm passing the 'Dropbox-API-Path-Root' header to list all team space shared links.

Expected behavior:
Based on the API documentation, I expected to see all shared links returned. The docs state: "If no path is given, returns a list of all shared links for the current user. For members of business teams using team space and member folders, returns all shared links in the team member's home folder unless the team space ID is specified in the request header."

Steps to reproduce:
1. Create both an edit and a view link for a team folder in Dropbox.
2. Use the list_shared_links API with a team access token and the 'Dropbox-API-Path-Root' header, without specifying a path in the body.
3. Observe that only the edit link is returned.
4. Manually remove the edit link for the folder via the Dropbox dashboard.
5. Use the list_shared_links API again with the same parameters.
6. Observe that now only the view link is returned.

Questions:
1. Is this the intended behavior of the API for team folders?
2. If so, is there a way to retrieve both edit and view links for team folders in a single API call without specifying the path?
3. If not, is this a known issue specific to team folders, and is there a workaround or fix planned?
4. Does this behavior differ between team folders and personal folders?

Any clarification on this would be greatly appreciated, especially regarding how the API is supposed to handle multiple link types for team folders. Thank you!

4 Replies 4

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hm..🤔 How many times did you call /2/sharing/list_shared_links in your procedure? Hope you are aware that not all links may get returned on first call. Did you check 'has_more' in the result? Check when 'cursor' is used as param! 😉

Hope this helps.

athithan
Helpful | Level 5

You are not joking right 😉, obviously I checked all the pages, I can confirm  it. it is not returning both links together. you could check it yourself for the team account

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Ha.. You are correct! To be honest I didn't check this in advance and I don't use both edit and view only links together - created such for the test here. It really returns only edit links when both are available -seems like a endpoint bug. Let's hope it will be fixed.

Good luck.

@Greg-DB, you are coming here! 😉

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the report! We'll look into it.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    athithan Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?