cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dropbox saver questions

dropbox saver questions

sunyi000
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have a website uses the Dropbox saver and chooser to upload/download files. The saver stopped working..(it worked last week..)

The error I got is 'Job reached max retry attempts'..even the file is just a 8kb text file.

I see others posted questions about the same error..but they upload from gmail chrome plugin.., but I'm using the saver from my own portal..I don't know if this is the same issue..

Please could anyone help? Thanks very much

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I see that you're supplying a 'localhost' URL to the Saver. This won't work, unfortunately, as that URL is not Internet-accessible.

The Saver works by having the Dropbox servers themselves access the supplied URL to retrieve the file data. The local client (i.e., the browser in this case) does not actually do the transfer itself, in order to avoid an unnecessary extra round trip of downloading and re-uploading the data. Files hosted locally on your machine aren't accessible to the Dropbox servers though, so it will fail.

You'll need to switch to using an Internet-accessible URL for the file to make this work.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Is it possible that there's an issue with where the file is being hosted? If the provided URL for the file is failing (e.g., it's returning an error status code), Dropbox won't be able to save the file.

Otherwise, can you provide steps for us to reproduce the issue? We'll be happy to look into it. Thanks in advance! 

sunyi000
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks for the response.

The website is running locally on http://localhost...the saver is an plugin to the website. So user select local file via the portal, the path of the selected file is then posted to an api endpoint to create dropbox tempurl for the selected file.  The response of returned from the api call looks like this

{url: "http://localhost:8889/tmpurl/dropblox%20%281%29.png?dltoken=WpXmKTjiTocz-RRfNzZb3JwX6qYba2NjTb_h1N7vBZM", name: "dropblox (1).png", token: "WpXmKTjiTocz-RRfNzZb3JwX6qYba2NjTb_h1N7vBZM"}

then, i created 'files' array of dropbox options using the 'url' and 'name' in the above response

[{url: "http://localhost:8889/tmpurl/dropblox%20%281%29.png?dltoken=XlxnWTM1QmAeeTO4de42ffxI1hHFfOyGv94VkJV4iZk", filename: "dropblox (1).png"}]

together with other 'success, progress, cancel, error, then I just call

Dropbox.save(options)

after 10-20 seconds, I got the 'job reached maximum retry attempts' error.

if I copy and paste the  file tempurl into browser, the browser downloads the file straight away...

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I see that you're supplying a 'localhost' URL to the Saver. This won't work, unfortunately, as that URL is not Internet-accessible.

The Saver works by having the Dropbox servers themselves access the supplied URL to retrieve the file data. The local client (i.e., the browser in this case) does not actually do the transfer itself, in order to avoid an unnecessary extra round trip of downloading and re-uploading the data. Files hosted locally on your machine aren't accessible to the Dropbox servers though, so it will fail.

You'll need to switch to using an Internet-accessible URL for the file to make this work.

sunyi000
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

ah.. yes I just moved the web to a cloud server and it worked...sorry the question is a bit dumb...:slight_smile:

Thanks...

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

sunyi000 Explorer | Level 3
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?