cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

difference between the absolute path and relative

difference between the absolute path and relative

Jay0203
Explorer | Level 4

i am using an api calling to upload data to dropbox. Since dropbox update is coming. its says that ""If available, switch integration file paths from absolute to relative. By switching to relative, you won’t need to re-configure the paths after the upgrade. If you’re unable to switch to relative, you may need to manually modify the file paths after the upgrade""  the question is How to determine if I'm using absolute path or relative path?

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

It sounds like you're referring to the team space upgrade. For reference, you can find more information on that upgrade in the help center here.

On the Dropbox API, there are multiple ways to reference items in a Dropbox account. Exactly how you do so is up to you, and will depend on how you want your application to work. You can find more information in the File Access Guide.

For example, you may specify a path to a file by giving the full absolute path, including the names of any parent folders, such as "/folder_name/file_name.ext". You could instead specify that relative to that folder by id though, like "id:abc123xyz/file_name.ext" (where "id:abc123xyz" is the id of the folder). Check out the documentation linked above for more information.

For the team space upgrade in particular though, note that team folders are moved to the team space, and regardless of how you specify paths, you'll need to set the relevant root to access anything in the team space. I highly recommend reading the Team Files Guide for information on how to handle that.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?