cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video file uploaded via api doesn't play on DropBox.

Video file uploaded via api doesn't play on DropBox.

Alex1347
Helpful | Level 5

I wrote lib on C# using DropBox API for upload videofiles, I can upload video files correct, but these files doesn't play on DropBox. I saw this answer https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-API-Support-Feedback/Video-uploaded-via-api-cant-be-played/m...  but I don't understand how it's help me find specific reason of error ?  (because it's help only confirm contain problem\error)

2 Replies 2

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@Alex1347 wrote:

..., I can upload video files correct, ...

Hi @Alex1347,

Hm..🤔 If you can upload video file correct... what's wrong then. Did you make it sure? 🧐

That what I understand "upload correct" is when comparing original source file (actual file type doesn't matter) and the uploaded mirror, byte by byte to be the same. Did you check this?

@Alex1347 wrote:

... but I don't understand how it's help me find specific reason of error ?  (because it's help only confirm contain problem\error)

If you can clarify what's the reason for something not to work (i.e. what's wrong together with problem confirming), you have almost found the "specific reason of error" out. It's almost the same - you're just one step away. 😉 Don't be lazy; do it if you want of course. 🤫 If you want, you may share some code snippet that reproduces the problem while running standalone - something that may be commented on.

Good luck.

DB-Des
Dropbox Engineer

Hi @Alex1347

The suggestion in the answer you linked is helpful as part of the troubleshooting process. As highlighted in that post, downloading the file to confirm the file size is correct should rule out any issues that may have occurred during the upload process. Alternatively, you can confirm that the content_hash value generated by the server is identical to the original/locally stored file (https://www.dropbox.com/developers/reference/content-hash).

If the file size of the uploaded file and the original file size match, there may also exist the possibility that the file format is not supported by the browser you are using to play the file.

As an additional troubleshooting step, and to rule out any potential issues with the library or framework being used to generate the request, we would suggest testing uploading the file via a cURL request.

I hope this information is helpful!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

DB-Des Dropbox Engineer
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?