cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User root folder path in organizational user accounts where Team space is enabled

User root folder path in organizational user accounts where Team space is enabled

Takashi Yamamoto
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I'd like to know how to easily obtain the user root folder path in organizational user accounts where Team space is enabled.

For user accounts where Team space is disabled, the URL to a user's file looks like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/home/foo/bar/baz

However, for organizational user accounts with Team space enabled, it becomes:

https://www.dropbox.com/home/John Doe/foo/bar/baz

In this case, I want to know how to easily obtain the URL for the user's folder or file. I understand that with the /users/get_current_account API, one can use the root_info.home_path. However, it's problematic when the username changes, leading to broken links.

I don't want to use shared links because I want to provide the link to users with legitimate credentials.

Is there a better method?

It would be great, for instance, if there was a string like user_root that acted as an alias to the user's home.

e.g. https://www.dropbox.com/home/user_root/foo/bar/baz

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for following up. I'm glad to hear that worked.

I can only help with the Dropbox API itself, so for any questions regarding reporting or the Admin console, I suggest contacting support here.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The Dropbox API doesn't offer a way to get/construct the /home URL of a file/folder on the Dropbox web site like that (either explicitly or via an alias), but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though.

However, you can call /2/sharing/create_shared_link_with_settings with the 'path' set to the the file/folder, and 'settings.audience' to 'no_one' to get a shared link that would refer to the folder on the web site for anyone who has access to it, though not directly enable any additional access to it. That kind of link would rely on the user's existing credentials/permissions, so it sounds like that may work for your use case.

Takashi Yamamoto
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thank you! It works fine including team space folder with `Dropbox-Api-Path-Root`.

I have another question, when create link with 'no_one audience' setting, it seems not to count as external link, (I checked admin console https://www.dropbox.com/team/admin/external_sharing?role=work ).

Is this true?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for following up. I'm glad to hear that worked.

I can only help with the Dropbox API itself, so for any questions regarding reporting or the Admin console, I suggest contacting support here.

Takashi Yamamoto
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Okay, thank you so much!

Takashi Homma
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I found a drawback.

When creating a shared link, a large amount of activity logs are outputted in the admin console's activity. Is there a way to avoid this?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@Takashi Homma No, I am not aware of a way to disable the logging.

Takashi Homma
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

oh no. I may have to give up. anyway, really appreciate your quick reply. it is very helpful. thank you!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Takashi Homma Explorer | Level 4
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Takashi Yamamoto Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?