cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload Interface

Upload Interface

soundoriginals
Explorer | Level 3

Hi there. We're a major national wedding photography studio. We currently use File Requests for photographers to upload their RAW images. This process is slow for some users, and doesn't provide a great UI. I stumbled across this developer area. I'm wondering if it's possible to build a custom UI for File Requests that would allow photographers to see the files they've successfully uploaded to the folder in a better manner than the native interface. Also, wondering if there is a way to add custom meta fields or a form that is required to begin. Looking to connect with a developer who has some ideas!

5 Replies 5

JohnnyDogman
Helpful | Level 7

That’s a great idea! You can definitely enhance the file upload experience for your photographers using Dropbox’s API. Here’s what you could do:

Custom Upload Interface:

You can build a custom interface using the Dropbox API. With the API, you can create a user-friendly, branded UI that shows users their successfully uploaded files in real time.

File Status & Metadata:

Using the API, you can add functionality to display upload status and success messages. Additionally, you can create custom fields or forms that photographers must fill out before starting the upload process, ensuring you gather all necessary data.

File Requests API:

While the native File Requests feature is limited, you can use the Dropbox API to build your own version with more flexibility and control.

Work with a Developer:

I recommend connecting with a Dropbox API developer or someone familiar with integrating file upload systems. They can help build the UI you envision and add any custom features, like metadata fields.

Dropbox’s forums are a good place to start if you need help finding a developer, 

Best of luck with your project!

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@soundoriginals wrote:

... I'm wondering if it's possible to build a custom UI for File Requests that would allow photographers to see the files they've successfully uploaded to the folder in a better manner than the native interface. ...

Hi @soundoriginals,

Unfortunately, public accessible (allowed for third party usage) Dropbox API doesn't support handling of file request in such a way (upload and see what's there). You may automate file requests management though, but this is not the same.

Easy workaround (even without using any API) is share a file request and view only link to the same folder in batch. So users will be able see what's there if that's what you want.

It's possible to be implemented custom interface that lets your users to upload in a way different that default one, but not based on file requests. You need UI implementation server side (may be mixed implementation too - server and client side) that ensure appropriate upload directly to your account. In such a way you have more freedom to implement it as you would like.

Good luck.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

As others have already helpfully mentioned here, while Dropbox does not offer a way to directly customize the file requests interface itself (other than the branding), Dropbox does offer an API you can use for listing, uploading, and downloading files, among other operations, so programmers could build a custom interface. Developers can find everything needed to get started with the Dropbox API, including documentation, tutorials, and SDKs here. The Getting Started Guide and File Access Guide may also be helpful.

soundoriginals
Explorer | Level 3

I'd love to hire a developer. Any ideas?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Dropbox itself doesn't have listings or recommendations of developers to hire (though there may be some in the forum here who can chime in). There also may be third party marketplaces online where you can search for developers to hire, but we can't recommend any in particular. I certainly see how that could be helpful though, so I'll send this along to the team as a request to offer some sort of recommendation/listing like that. I can't promise if or when this would be implemented though.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    soundoriginals Explorer | Level 3
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    JohnnyDogman Helpful | Level 7
What do Dropbox user levels mean?