cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: SwiftyDropbox & Dropbox Saver (v2 API)

SwiftyDropbox & Dropbox Saver (v2 API)

jcypher
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Is "Dropbox Saver" available, in Swift or Obj-C for iOS?  

I can't seem to find iOS Swift/Obj-C Dropbox Saver use in the SwiftyDropbox documentation, only for HTML (though it was originally planned to be coming soon).

What I would like is to simply let the user choose a "save to" destination in their own Dropbox folder (from inside my app) and not concern myself with applying for production status. The "applying for production" process seems a little risky for launching an iOS app, e.g. if the app should "take off" would production status be approved quick enough? What if isn't granted? etc.  Combining these "if" scenarios with the app review process elsewhere compounds risk and in the worst case scenario could result in a bad end-user experience (and poor app/developer reputation).

Currently I'm successfully using SwiftyDropbox in app (under development), but will probably require production approval.  Does anyone out there with some experience with this have some advice?  What is the best way?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

We don't currently have a native Saver for iOS, but I'll be sure to pass this along as a feature request. 

However, note that the official Dropbox app registers as an iOS "Document Picker" with the following modes, if you can/want to use that:

UIDocumentPickerModeImport
UIDocumentPickerModeExportToService

If you're using the Dropbox API though (e.g., via SwiftyDropbox) and want to go through the production review before releasing to any users, you can request an "early review". You can find more information on that here:

https://www.dropbox.com/developers/reference/devguide#production-approval

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

We don't currently have a native Saver for iOS, but I'll be sure to pass this along as a feature request. 

However, note that the official Dropbox app registers as an iOS "Document Picker" with the following modes, if you can/want to use that:

UIDocumentPickerModeImport
UIDocumentPickerModeExportToService

If you're using the Dropbox API though (e.g., via SwiftyDropbox) and want to go through the production review before releasing to any users, you can request an "early review". You can find more information on that here:

https://www.dropbox.com/developers/reference/devguide#production-approval

jcypher
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Thanks Greg,

I am using that as well, however I want to upload *multiple* files at the same time and the Dropbox app extension (still!) doesn't support that :). It's a good answer though.

I'm not sure how many topics I want to spawn in these forums - should I ask each question as a new topic (if I can't find the answer)? (e.g. if the user deletes the entire app folder, it seems to stop working for the user and seemed difficult to get working again; additionally, could/has someone put in a feature request that the Dropbox app would handle multiple file uploads - cache them itself and upload them, taking care of if we're on cellular or wifi, etc.?)

Thanks again.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for elaborating! Unfortunately I don't have a solution to offer for handling multiple files at a time, short of using the API itself. I've filed this as a feature request though.

Also, please do go ahead and open one thread per issue or request you have. That will help us keep track of them.
Need more support?