cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: SwiftyDropbox SDK + Sign In With Apple?

SwiftyDropbox SDK + Sign In With Apple?

jimbobbles
Explorer | Level 3

My app uses the Dropbox API to allow users to backup their data to their own Dropbox account. I have a button called "Sign in to Dropbox", which launches the auth flow. Once connected, the user's data is automatically saved to Dropbox. Works great on Android.

Unfortunately, Apple are being very Appley and have rejected my app, because I don't also have a "Sign in with Apple" button. From the app store review guidelines:

4.8 Sign in with Apple

Apps that use a third-party or social login service (such as Facebook Login, Google Sign-In, Sign in with Twitter, Sign In with LinkedIn, Login with Amazon, or WeChat Login) to set up or authenticate the user’s primary account with the app must also offer Sign in with Apple as an equivalent option. A user’s primary account is the account they establish with your app for the purposes of identifying themselves, signing in, and accessing your features and associated services.

Reading this, it seems that any app that allows users to sign into their Dropbox account (for example, the PhotoWatch sample app) must also allow Sign In With Apple. However, I can't find any documentation on how to use the SwiftyDropbox SDK / Dropbox auth sign in process with Sign In With Apple, and I'm completely stumped. So I have a few questions:

- Has anyone managed to publish an app with just a "sign in to dropbox" button and not "sign in with apple"?

- Am I reading this app store requirement correctly? Should I appeal this decision? If so, what justification can I use?

- Has anyone got any sample code they could share, or any pointers on how to integrate SwiftyDropbox SDK and sign in with apple?

Many thanks for any advice 🙏

3 Replies 3

tahsini
Dropbox Staff

In this case it may be best to rename this to "Connect to Dropbox" or "Backup to Dropbox". In your application you are not actually managing the identity of Dropbox users but are allowing them to link their Dropbox account to your application. 

jimbobbles
Explorer | Level 3
Thanks for the suggestion! So you agree that the app shouldn’t have been rejected? Just good to have a second opinion of the App Store rules because I’m working on my own on this.

tahsini
Dropbox Staff

Since you are not using Dropbox as an identification for your application but as a means to connect to our APIs this makes sense. Apple may have flagged the "Sign in to Dropbox" as an identity mechanism rather than an option to connect a Dropbox account.

Need more support?