cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return client modified and server modified time for Dropbox get folder API

Return client modified and server modified time for Dropbox get folder API

qaaperture
Explorer | Level 4

Currently we don't get the client modified and server modified time for Dropbox folders like we do for Dropbox files when fetching them via API. It'd be great if we can include the above fields for Dropbox folders when we fetch them via API. 

6 Replies 6

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @qaaperture,

I with you about API ability to handle 'modified' times. This question is not only API related though - Dropbox core does NOT handle them! If Dropbox API just returns some modified time, it would be meaningless and for sure incorrect.

Let's hope proper department will take care (I'm skeptic though).

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@qaaperture Здравко is correct; the Dropbox API does not currently support modified times for folders, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though.

DBoxTips
Experienced | Level 11

Dropbox core stores and handles at least client_modified for folders, it just doesn't expose it via the API.

You can confirm that by unchecking an older folder from your Dropbox account in selective sync settings so that it removes it locally, then checking it back to bring it back down. When you look at the creation date and time (in Windows Explorer or Finder), you will notice Dropbox restores the creation timestamp.

Andrew (DBoxTips)

I am an individual contributor to the Dropbox Community forums, not affiliated with Dropbox in any way. All opinions expressed here are my own.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@DBoxTips wrote:

Dropbox core stores and handles at least client_modified for folders, it just doesn't expose it via the API.

No unfortunately, that's not true. Check again.

@DBoxTips wrote:

You can confirm that by unchecking an older folder from your Dropbox account in selective sync settings so that it removes it locally, then checking it back to bring it back down. When you look at the creation date and time (in Windows Explorer or Finder), you will notice Dropbox restores the creation timestamp.

Yes, correct, but it's different thing (and the only thing Dropbox core support by now). Don't mix them. 😉

PS: You may got confused that by mistake, in Dropbox site, creation time is denoted as modification time. 😀 Just a web design bug.

qaaperture
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Greg, thanks for responding. Since you mentioned that the API doesn't support modified times for folders, does it also include the creation time of the folder? It'd be great if this can be picked as a feature request for the API.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@qaaperture The Dropbox API also does not currently support created times for folders, but I'll pass this along as a feature request as well.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    qaaperture Explorer | Level 4
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    DBoxTips Experienced | Level 11
What do Dropbox user levels mean?