cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restrict Accessing / Selecting Specific File Types

Restrict Accessing / Selecting Specific File Types

berwickredan
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm about to integrate the API into a new project and I'd love to be able to restrict the user from selecting file types that we don't support.  I've been looking through the docs but am not seeing it (or just missing it I hope).

We currently support .docx, .pdf, .rtf, .txt and it would be awesome if we can restrict selecting any files that do not have one of those types. 

Is this supported in the API?  If not, I supposed we'd need to do some validation and feedback on client-side on our end.

Thanks!

Kane

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

You didn't mention what platform you're using, but if you can use just the Dropbox web Chooser, you can filter files by type using the 'extensions' option.

Otherwise, if you are using the Dropbox API itself, I'm afraid this isn't offered. The Dropbox API doesn't have a way to restrict the app's access to specific types, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. That being the case, you'd have to implement the filtering client-side.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

You didn't mention what platform you're using, but if you can use just the Dropbox web Chooser, you can filter files by type using the 'extensions' option.

Otherwise, if you are using the Dropbox API itself, I'm afraid this isn't offered. The Dropbox API doesn't have a way to restrict the app's access to specific types, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. That being the case, you'd have to implement the filtering client-side.

berwickredan
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Ah the Chooser! This should work perfectly.  Thanks for the quick response!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

berwickredan New member | Level 2
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?