cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old dropbox and new dropbox API

Old dropbox and new dropbox API

Omri1984
Explorer | Level 4

Hi ,

i know that dropbox made a lot of changes in the last few years.

i want to understand something 

there where a time that i needed to check the account , and check if the account is  team in order to identify if it is a space team(new team)  or the old one.

is this the case for today as well. or that dropbox deprecated all there old teams of the old dropbox and we move only to work with the new one?

i am using the api of dropbox and i used to support the old and the new dropbox themes.

can someone help me to understand 🙂

attaching the response from rootinfo 

dropbox img.PNG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@Omri1984 The combination of the two features allows an app to distinguish between all three team configurations. Please refer to this post for information on that. The recommendation is use these feature values to programmatically determine how to handle any particular team, as described throughout that post.

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

Omri1984
Explorer | Level 4

i think maybe it is related to this . 

And if yes can you do me some clearance here 🙂 ?

And if no please what is the issue ?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

While Dropbox is working to migrate teams to the updated team space, there are still teams on each of the different configurations.

And yes, the best resources for information on this are:

Omri1984
Explorer | Level 4

how can i request both of those featured values using the dropbox sdk with c# can share with an example of the code ?

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@Omri1984 wrote:

how can i request both of those featured values using the dropbox sdk with c# can share with an example of the code ?

@Omri1984, Take a look here and here. 😉

Good luck.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@Omri1984 Здравко is correct; you can use those feature methods in the .NET SDK to make the feature calls for the team or user, but the team_shared_dropbox and distinct_member_home feature values for users and the has_distinct_member_homes feature values for teams haven't been implemented in .NET SDK yet.

You can determine the same information from the RootInfo object in your screenshot though:

• team_shared_dropbox: this is the same as checking if the RootInfo is a TeamRootInfo.
  • distinct_member_home: this is the same as checking if rootNamespaceId
    and homeNamespaceId are different.

Omri1984
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you @Здравко and thank you @Greg-DB i will give it a try.

In the past i implement changes that  decided if it a new team or old by the root info.isteam
So now i have 3 options? New team old team and no team. And according to table i saw in article this is the way i need to decide if to use the team space client or the old client ??

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@Omri1984 Yes, there are currently three possible team configurations. The linked resources cover how to detect all of the different feature states so apps can use the features accordingly. Note though that the 'Dropbox-API-Path-Root' header is supported by all three configurations, so you can use that to set the root when calling for any account regardless of the team configuration if you wish to do so. That can make your code a bit simpler.

Omri1984
Explorer | Level 4

ok i am working on requesting the get values from the api,

just one more thing how do i know when to call the team.getvalues or user.getvalues

for old and new team should i use the team and for personal user i need to use the user ?

Omri1984
Explorer | Level 4

also trying to fetch the get values  and getting an error such as 

creating client with https://api.dropboxapi.com and a Bearer token

var requestBody = "{\"features\":[{\".tag\":\"\"distinct_member_home\"},{\".tag\":\"team_shared_dropbox\"}]}";

var content = new StringContent(JsonConvert.SerializeObject(requestBody), Encoding.UTF8, "application/json");
content.Headers.ContentType = new MediaTypeHeaderValue("application/json");

var res = await httpClient.PostAsync("/2/users/features/get_values",content);

but always get the same response of:

Result: "Error in call to API function \"users/features/get_values\": request body: expected object, got string"

am i missing something here 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Omri1984 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?