cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Java dropbox GUI

Java dropbox GUI

travis h.4
New member | Level 1

How would one go about creating a uploadFile method in Java that has a GUI? for example I am trying to use JFileChooser to execute a selected file in which I can click on the file and call the file and pass it into a file then send it out as a fileInputStream so looking at the code cause its a lot easier to explain. 

Something like this..

JFileChooser fc = new JFileChooser();

fc.getSelectedFile();

File inputFile = fc.getSelectedFile();
FileInputStream inputStream = new FileInputStream(inputFile);

try {

DbxEntry.File uploadedFile = client.uploadFile("/javaroots.jpg",

DbxWriteMode.add(), inputFile.length(), inputStream);

String sharedUrl = client.createShareableUrl("/javaroots.jpg");

System.out.println("Uploaded: " + uploadedFile.toString() + " URL " + sharedUrl);

} finally {

inputStream.close();

}

}

4 Replies 4

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Where are you stuck exactly? Are you having trouble with the Dropbox portion of this? If so, what error are you getting?

The matter of building a GUI around it is out of scope for Dropbox API support so I'm afraid this wouldn't be a good place for help with that aspect of your project.

travis h.4
New member | Level 1

Thanks for the response Gregory,

Yes, I am having troubles in context of the actual file upload method. The main guts of the program; user logging into dropbox and getting a access link etc. is working and connecting fine with no problems but when the upload method is executed I am getting errors (posted below this reply) the File object ( File file = getSelectedFile(); or File file = new File(); ) is all in red underline? 

I also have a question posted in StackoverFlow pertaining to this question if you would like to look perhaps http://stackoverflow.com/questions/34505240/file-fileinputstream-issue?noredirect=1#comment56752945_...

If you would like any more info. in context of this I can post the whole program as well if need to be. I appreciate your response, Happy New Year!

OUTPUT:

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.RuntimeException: Uncompilable source code - no suitable constructor found for File(java.lang.String) constructor com.dropbox.core.DbxEntry.File.File(java.lang.String,java.lang.String,boolean,long,java.lang.String,java.util.Date,java.util.Date,java.lang.String,com.dropbox.core.DbxEntry.File.PhotoInfo,com.dropbox.core.DbxEntry.File.VideoInfo) is not applicable (actual and formal argument lists differ in length) constructor com.dropbox.core.DbxEntry.File.File(java.lang.String,java.lang.String,boolean,long,java.lang.String,java.util.Date,java.util.Date,java.lang.String) is not applicable (actual and formal argument lists differ in length) at daword.dropBox.actionPerformed(dropBox.java:173) at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2022) at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2346) at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:402) at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:259) at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(BasicButtonListener.java:252) at

travis h.4
New member | Level 1

I should highlight also that I'm not trying to focus on the GUI question I am having success with that portion its just simply this bit of code hanging me up...

public void uploadFile() throws FileNotFoundException, DbxException, IOException{

fc = new JFileChooser();
fc.setMultiSelectionEnabled(true);
//fc.setFileSelectionMode();

int dialog = fc.showSaveDialog(this);

if (dialog == JFileChooser.APPROVE_OPTION) {

inputFile = fc.getSelectedFile();
inputFile.getAbsoluteFile();

try{
FileInputStream inputStream = new FileInputStream(inputFile);
// this is where its not uploading all the code above is running fine

uploadedFile = client.uploadFile(homeDir,
DbxWriteMode.add(), inputFile.length(), inputStream);
String sharedUrl = client.createShareableUrl(homeDir);
System.out.println("Uploaded: " + uploadedFile.toString() + " URL " + sharedUrl);
} catch (IOException e){
}

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Note, for anyone following along who may be having the same problem, another one of our developer advocates offered an answer on the StackOverflow question.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    travis h.4 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?