cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to get short lived app access token without user interaction on behalf of admin.

Is there a way to get short lived app access token without user interaction on behalf of admin.

mkirank
Explorer | Level 3

Is there a way to get short lived app access token without user interaction and on behalf of admin and use user impersonation to fetch user data.This is required for us as we are using a background service to pull a specific user data.

5 Replies 5

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

If you want the access token to have access only to a specific member's account, then no, the Dropbox API doesn't offer anything quite like this, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though. 

You can get new short-lived access tokens on demand, without further manual user intervention, if you have a "refresh token" though. Note however that the resulting access token will always have the same permissions as the original authorization that resulted in that refresh token. (That would include access to the "member file access" feature, if such access was granted.) Please refer to the OAuth Guide and documentation for information on using refresh tokens.

mkirank
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the information. As you mentioned dropbox does not support access token to have access only to a specific member's account so is there a way to get application level access token and we need this to be acquired by a background process so there will be no user interaction. Let me know if it is possible through dropbox API.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

No, Dropbox doesn't offer access tokens for an app itself. Dropbox access tokens are always for a particular app-team pair or app-user pair, both of which require authorization, from a team admin or user respectively.

mkirank
Explorer | Level 3

Ok.I am admin of a business account and let me know if there is some way for me to get team token onbhalf of my admin user account without manual user intervention.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

The authorization for any team or user account always requires some sort of manual interaction, but note that the app can store and re-use the access token/refresh token after that.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    mkirank Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?