cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I see the api developer app linked in my Dropbox but no /App folder anywere.

I see the api developer app linked in my Dropbox but no /App folder anywere.

TazDevilLooney
Explorer | Level 4

While using the developer app to create a api share. i'm unable to find a folder in my main dropbox to remove any files once i have uploaded though the api. Im really stuck on this! I have currently one file which i sent and read back on a kodi backup app (SUCCESS!) However can't find the file anywere in my dropbox if i wished to remove the file or add files to the folder that it saved too. 

I see the developer app is linked in my Dropbox but no /App folder anywere.

I'm using the basic account as i'm testing the service before a subscription.

Any ideas would be greatfully recieved, Thanks Taz 🙂

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

iNeil
Dropbox Engineer
@TazDevilLooney wrote:

If I remove my current App will that also remove the backup I made? 

If you unlink or delete an app, this will have no affect on your file data in your account.

Registering an app on Dropbox only sets up the ability to connect to Dropbox via the API. Deleting it prevents it from being able to connect to Dropbox.

In relation to locating your files directly on your Dropbox account, please cross check the account that is connected to the access token as mentioned by Здравко.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @TazDevilLooney,

You should keep in mind that you're going to deal with addon that's still in development stage. Even more, as seems, this addon is NOT actively supported anymore. There are used some coding practices that are obsolete and dropped by Dropbox - something that can put you in issues if you don't have developments skills (not just end user). All files the addon uploads are put to your application specific folder that keep application name (the one selected by you) and itself is subfolder of "App" folder. Usually uploaded files are spread into other subfolders inside.

Hope this gives direction.

iNeil
Dropbox Engineer

Hello @TazDevilLooney, Hope that you are well! Based on the information you have provided you have created a developer app and you are unable to locate the Apps Folder within your Dropbox account. 

Please bear in mind that the developer app would require the permission type App Folder to automatically create the Apps Folder on the Dropbox account while completing the OAuth workflow.

For example, if you have completed the OAuth workflow with a developer app having the permission type App Folder, it will automatically create the Apps Folder which includes your App Folder name. Would you be able to cross check the permission type of your developer app? You can review your developer app permission type with the following link: https://www.dropbox.com/developers/apps

In relation to the file that you uploaded with the Dropbox API, can you provide the API response that you received?

TazDevilLooney
Explorer | Level 4

Hi iNeil, thanks for the reply. The app it's self is from a 3rd party and was using it to backup my Kodi install to Dropbox. It managed to do this and I restored the file from the location It was saved. However I do know the file transfer worked, reading and writing but couldn't find any evidence were it was placed in my Dropbox account. It's in there somewhere but I was unable to access it outside the API. I will give your suggestion a go as I did pick Full Access for the App and not the Folder Option. I'll let you know how it turns out. If I remove my current App will that also remove the backup I made? Hoping I can recover the space from that file. 😉

Thanks again, Taz  

TazDevilLooney
Explorer | Level 4

Hi there, I created a second app with the folder option and removed the previous app. I now have an App folder which I can see and and named as per the app. I've moved stuff in and out of the folder using Dropbox. No problems

Deep Breath!

I attempted again to make 2 backup files from the API to my dropbox account and it was successful. I then went to restore the files and the restore completed successful is well.  To make sure this is going out on the internet I disconnect the unit and it couldn't access any backups previously listed. Reconnecting the unit and the files displayed for restore. 

restore-image.jpeg

However the files which has gone to Dropbox has not arrived in my App Folder. 

I've enabled all the permissions within the Developers App. While the backup and the restore work very well without the files appearing in the folder. I have no way of removing the old backups and it would eventually fill up my Dropbox account.   

To add a little bit extra, I've just checked my Personal Dropbox space and it say's Using 35.2 KB of 2 GB. So were did the files go? LOL

Any suggestions? I'm all ears, Taz 😉

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@TazDevilLooney wrote:

However the files which has gone to Dropbox has not arrived in my App Folder. 

😁How many accounts do you have? 🙂 The files will go to the account authenticated with the token in use. If you have used someone else credentials that person "wins" for your files (the account space drain too). 😉

PS: An easy check what account is in use go to here and put the token you use in the application there (the field labeled: Access Token). Next, click on "Submit Call" button. What are you getting as response and does it match your expectations? 🧐

iNeil
Dropbox Engineer
@TazDevilLooney wrote:

If I remove my current App will that also remove the backup I made? 

If you unlink or delete an app, this will have no affect on your file data in your account.

Registering an app on Dropbox only sets up the ability to connect to Dropbox via the API. Deleting it prevents it from being able to connect to Dropbox.

In relation to locating your files directly on your Dropbox account, please cross check the account that is connected to the access token as mentioned by Здравко.

TazDevilLooney
Explorer | Level 4

Hi iNeil, I had one account that was using the Full Access App which I removed and opened a Folder Access App. So I only has one a one time. 😉 After your suggestion about the token I check the API application ( Which I had de-authorised before the removal of the Full Access App ). Low and behold while it may of done sever end it hadn't removed the previous token from the token file in the API. Even though I re-authorised it again with the Folder Access API, it hadn't updated the token to the new one. 

Once I replace the old token with the new one, I did a backup and the file arrived in the Dropbox/App folder. Yipppeeee!!! I knew you guys could get me there 😉  I guess that's what happens experimenting with something new which you have very limited knowledge about. 

Sorted!

Thanks for the API lesson guys, wish you all the best.  Taz 😉

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

TazDevilLooney Explorer | Level 4
    iNeil Dropbox Engineer
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?