cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to create a folder in a team shared folder and make it accessible to a small part of the tea

How to create a folder in a team shared folder and make it accessible to a small part of the team

Poui
Helpful | Level 5

Hi, I am currently using Make (a no code platform) to automate the creation of a folder in a shared folder after the start of a new project.
The issue is that everyone (30 ~) have access to that folder, when only a small portion (usually 2 – 4) of that team actually need to have access to it.
I read the API documentation, and I am honestly lost, I don't know which endpoint I can use to remove the access of the rest of the team while only giving access to the concerned people. I can easily get information like the dropbox ID or mail of each team member to make the action.

If you need any additional information to help me, I am available.
Thanks in advance.

6 Replies 6

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@Poui wrote:

... automate the creation of a folder in a shared folder after the start of a new project.
... I don't know which endpoint I can use to remove the access of the rest of the team while only giving access to the concerned people. ...

Hi @Poui,

There is no way to do that on "a folder". You need another shared folder (or subfolder) - a shared folder for every project actually. Member participation can be driven per shared folder and affect all nested regular folders. In such a way you can add only people need access to particular content and refuse derived access if needed (when the particular shared folder is nested in another shared folder). 😉 That's it.

Hope this gives direction.

Poui
Helpful | Level 5

Hi @Здравко,

So after the creation of the folder, I need to share it through this endpoint 

https://api.dropboxapi.com/2/sharing/share_folder

with the 

"access_inheritance": "no_inherit"

in the body of the request,
I will then use this endpoint 

https://api.dropboxapi.com/2/sharing/add_folder_member

with all the members that need to access that folder in the body

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Yes, that's one of the scenarios I mentioned above (when you are nesting shared folders and need to exclude derived/inherited access - when parent folder has more members than needed).

@Poui wrote:

Hi @Здравко,

So after the creation of the folder, I need to share it ...

By the way, you can do it in one call. When you share a non existing folder, it's created automatically. 😉

Poui
Helpful | Level 5

Hi, thanks again for your help but I have two questions.

1. When I try to share a non-existing folder, i get this error instead of it creating like you said :

{
    "error_summary": "no_permission/...",
    "error": {
        ".tag": "no_permission"
    },
    "user_message": {
        "locale": "en",
        "text": "You don’t have permission to perform this action."
    }
}

2. despite removing the access inheritance of the folder, my team still have a folder on their dropbox explorer of that folder. It doesn't disappear.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

To be honest I can't reproduce that. It works for me. Are you sure the context you're representing, in your call, really has access permission there? ðŸ¤” You may need admin access! Who is the owner of the parent folder and if that's not you, as a member, what access you have?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@Poui 2. If you create a shared folder without inheritance in a team folder, the other members will still see the nested shared folder itself; they just won't be able to access its contents.

If that's not the behavior you want, you may want to create the shared folder outside the team folder.

Need more support?