cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How i get a file ID from a share URL?

How i get a file ID from a share URL?

Caunz
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi,

In my business they use functions to download files from others applications like OneDrive or Google Drive from the link generated when you share files and copy in a textbox, IDs generated from the shared link are the IDs of the file or is it an own ID to share it?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Dropbox offers a "shared link" feature which enables you to share files or folders via a link.

You can create shared links via the API using /2/sharing/create_shared_link_with_settings. Note that these shared links themselves do contain a random token specific to the shared link, but this is not the "file ID".

If you have a shared link and want to get the ID for the file or folder it points to, you can use the /2/sharing/get_shared_link_metadata endpoint. The returned information will contain the 'id'. Likewise, to get the actual file data, you can use /2/sharing/get_shared_link_file.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Dropbox offers a "shared link" feature which enables you to share files or folders via a link.

You can create shared links via the API using /2/sharing/create_shared_link_with_settings. Note that these shared links themselves do contain a random token specific to the shared link, but this is not the "file ID".

If you have a shared link and want to get the ID for the file or folder it points to, you can use the /2/sharing/get_shared_link_metadata endpoint. The returned information will contain the 'id'. Likewise, to get the actual file data, you can use /2/sharing/get_shared_link_file.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?