cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Getting not_allowed error when requesting temporary_link

Getting not_allowed error when requesting temporary_link

paulgeorge
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I am trying to fetch the temporary link of a file in my dropbox. I created a scoped app and the file is inside the application folder. 

I am able to list the files in the folder and sub folders but not able to get the temporary link

Please help

paulgeorge_0-1630610752548.png

7 Replies 7

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

A 'not_allowed' error from /2/files/get_temporary_link indicates:

not_allowed Void The user is not allowed to request a temporary link to the specified file. For example, this can occur if the file is restricted or if the user's links are banned.

The help center article linked there has more information on link bans. You can contact support if you have any questions regarding the state of your account.

paulgeorge
Explorer | Level 3
My account is not banned as I can still add/edit/delete files from my account. I am able to read the properties, add metadata to file and search metadata from file. But I am not able to create a temporary link.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

A link ban would not impact the ability to read/add/edit/delete/search files or metadata. It only affects an account's links. So, the ability to read/add/edit/delete/search files or metadata does not indicate whether or not your account's links are banned.

paulgeorge
Explorer | Level 3
So what should be done to lift this ban? I want to get the temporary links of file uploaded in my app folder.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

You can contact support for help regarding the state of your account.

okristaps
New member | Level 2

If you had a request to get temporary links in a batch instead of us looping through a folder items and retrieving one by one users wouldn't exceed their limit and would be develop apps using your api 🙂

kashooo
New member | Level 2

It sounds like there was an issue with invalid HTML in your post. Here’s a clear, HTML-free response regarding the not_allowed error when requesting a temporary link from Dropbox:

Troubleshooting not_allowed Error

1. Check API Permissions:

• Ensure your Dropbox app has the necessary permissions for generating temporary links. Typically, you'll need files.content.read permissions.
  2. Verify Access Token:

• Confirm that your access token is valid and has the correct scopes. Tokens need appropriate permissions to perform actions like generating links.
  3. Review API Documentation:

• Make sure you are using the correct Dropbox API endpoint and request format for generating temporary links. Refer to the official Dropbox API documentation to ensure compliance.
  4. Check Request Method:

• Ensure you are using the proper HTTP method (POST) and that your request body is correctly formatted. Verify that the API endpoint supports the method and parameters you are using.
  5. Verify File/Folder Access:

• Confirm that the file or folder you’re trying to access with the temporary link is available and that you have permissions to access it.
  6. Inspect Error Details:

• Look for additional details in the error response that might explain why the request was not allowed.
  7. Update SDKs/Libraries:

• If you are using Dropbox SDKs or libraries, ensure they are up to date. Sometimes, issues are resolved in newer versions.
  8. Test Independently:

• Use tools like Postman or cURL to test the API endpoint directly and verify that the request is correctly formed.
  9. Consult Dropbox Support:

• If none of the above steps resolve the issue, contact Dropbox support or visit their developer forums for additional assistance.

By following these steps, you should be able to identify and resolve the issue causing the not_allowed error. If you need further help, Dropbox's support resources are a good place to get more detailed assistance.

Need more support?