cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Duplicated Dropbox File ID from SDK(PHP Version)

Getting Duplicated Dropbox File ID from SDK(PHP Version)

codeconfigs
Explorer | Level 3

Hello Forum! 👋

Nice to meet everyone in this awesome community.

I’m developing a WordPress plugin that allows users to manage their Dropbox files directly from the WordPress dashboard. This plugin integrates the Dropbox SDK for PHP to provide seamless access to Dropbox’s file management features. Users can view, upload, download, and organize their Dropbox files without leaving their WordPress site.

However, I’ve encountered an issue with duplicated file IDs when using the Dropbox SDK in PHP. Any guidance or insights from those who have faced similar challenges would be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to your suggestions and thank you in advance for your help!

4 Replies 4

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@codeconfigs wrote:

However, I’ve encountered an issue with duplicated file IDs when using the Dropbox SDK in PHP. ...

Hi @codeconfigs,

Your description is very "thin" and not enough for any conclusion. What are you doing when that happens? 🧐🤔 Some example API calls sequence letting the issue reproduction might clarify your situation.

The reason may be very different - starting from logical bug in your code up to mistake in interpretation of different list page results (where in some specific cases, such duplication is possible - uniqueness is guaranteed in border of single page only) and all between. Share some more details to clarify your question.

codeconfigs
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Здравко 

Thanks for your comment. You're correct. 

Single page has unique ID but we're storing ID's in mySQL DB(In WordPress) from different pages. In DB, we found some duplicate ID's and getting unexpected folder structure. 

Thank you

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@codeconfigs, I cannot be more concrete without more exact point/example what are you doing and it's going wrong accordingly.

@codeconfigs wrote:

..., we found some duplicate ID's ...

There is no way to exist duplicate IDs. Every file/folder ID identifies in unique way particular file/folder. Though, keep in mind that ID identify the file/folder unit as such, neither path nor name. The same file/folder may be moved on other place and will keep its ID on the new path (and eventually name). At the same time on the old path another file may get up with different ID, of course. If you don't clearly understand this, you may get in confusion! If you are familiar with local FS params, Dropbox file/folder ID is something very similar to inode (roughly, you can count them as same things; I hope this analogy can help you clarify the things). Is it possible to have duplicate inode in particular partition on your computer? 😉

@codeconfigs wrote:

... getting unexpected folder structure. 

That sounds like a logical mistake due to misunderstanding of IDs nature.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@codeconfigs I see Здравко helpfully offered some guidance already. If you still need help with this, please share more specific details showing the calls you're making as well as the unexpected output you're getting. Feel free to open a ticket if you'd prefer to share privately. Either way, be sure to redact any access tokens though.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    codeconfigs Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?