cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Folder embed problem - Viewers cannot view folder contents

Dropbox Folder embed problem - Viewers cannot view folder contents

jonokivex
Helpful | Level 5

Greetings,

If I embed a folder onto my website, I want people to be able to open the contents (images) inside the folder. But they cannot. They only have permission to view a list/grid of the folder content - not open the content.

Example: https://www.arclab.space/e/test-raw-jpg

The embedder should have a parent/child relationship, whereby if a user can view the parent folder, they can view the children files.

I believe this problem has emerged since the link architecture changed earlier this year.
https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-API-Support-Feedback/Dropbox-embedder/td-p/666213
In the above link, the solution to my problem is to make a folder 'viewable' (so the link becomes /sh/) and not 'editable'.
But since updating the link architecture, all links have become /scl/fi and rely on the rlkey to state whether its an editable or viewable link.

I believe the embedder has not been updated to reflect this change.

I believe this because if you access the folder link directly (the one used in the embed), this issue does not occur and children can be accessed:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/oq59fhvacazqqx7n4tnkp/h?rlkey=snuh46b0p5p1enerfpsbo5pbr&dl=0

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the report! That issue with using "rlkey" links in the Embedder is open with the team. I'll follow up here once I have an update on that.

The Embedder does not offer an option for viewing nested images inside the Embedder instead of in a new tab, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

jonokivex
Helpful | Level 5

I'm also wondering if it is possible to open these images inside the embedded folder, rather than loading the image via dropbox.com in a new tab

thanks!

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the report! That issue with using "rlkey" links in the Embedder is open with the team. I'll follow up here once I have an update on that.

The Embedder does not offer an option for viewing nested images inside the Embedder instead of in a new tab, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though.

jonokivex
Helpful | Level 5

Awesome, I'm glad to hear that! Thank you.
If its possible to update with a rough timeframe of when the issue may be solved, that would be very useful, as if its much further down the road I will have to turn to a different service to so our client portal service can continue uninterrupted

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@jonokivex Unfortunately I don't have a timeline to offer. I'll follow up here once I have any news on that.

bild_film
New member | Level 2

Would also love to know when this would be resolved. I built a web service with Dropbox as the foundation and this change to link architecture and embedder issue has affected hundreds of users who now see a "Request Access" screen instead of being able to view the content that they have been given access to via the Embedder

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@bild_film Thanks for the feedback! I don't have any news on this right now, but I'll follow up here once I do.

bild_film
New member | Level 2

Thanks Greg - could really do with this being resolved as it has caused a pretty awful user experience for our worldwide users and staff getting many spurious requests for folder access, even though this was all working correctly before the link architecture change. 

If we can't resolve this, we'll have to move our service away from Dropbox to another provider.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@bild_film Thanks for the note!

jonokivex
Helpful | Level 5

Any update on this bug?
Referring to the 'request access' problem.
If images open in a new tab, thats fine (though not ideal) but them having to request access is silly. After all, the download button allows them to dl all the images they dont have access to.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    jonokivex Helpful | Level 5
    bild_film New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?