cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can't get shared folder id of folders i create inside a shared folder

Can't get shared folder id of folders i create inside a shared folder

Poui
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I want to share a folder inside a team space to a specific people but i can't find the shared id of that created folder
The response when created the folder with the https://api.dropboxapi.com/2/files/create_folder_v2 endpoint : 

{
    "metadata": {
        "name": "TEST3",
        "path_lower": "/XXX/XXXX/test3",
        "path_display": "/XXX/XXXX/TEST3",
        "parent_shared_folder_id": "0000000",
        "id": "id:XXXXXXXX",
        "sharing_info": {
            "read_only": false,
            "traverse_only": false,
            "no_access": false
        }
    }
}
"entries": [
        {
            ".tag": "folder",
            "name": "TEST3",
            "path_lower": "/XXX/XXXX/test3",
            "path_display": "/XXX/XXXX/test3",
            "id": "id:XXXXXXXX",
            "sharing_info": {
                "read_only": false,
                "traverse_only": false,
                "no_access": false
            }
        }
    ]
There isn't any "shared_folder_id" even when i use the https://api.dropboxapi.com/2/files/list_folder endpoint
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi again @Poui,

In general, for either team or personal accounts, you can share project folder between team member/users and that folder will be hidden for all other that don't participate to particular folder sharing. For team account, it might be easier a project folder to be created by the admin and give to desired team members (project participants) access to there. 🤔 The choice is yours.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @Poui,

Using /2/files/create_folder_v2, you're creating a regular folder, not shared one! 😉 That's why there is not a 'shared_folder_id' in metadata.sharing_info. This field is optional and exists only when real shared folder is "on focus" (no the case now). You can share a existing folder (or create new shared folder) using /2/sharing/share_folder. The 'shared_folder_id' is mandatory (not an optional) in this endpoint's result. 🙂 That's it.

Hope this helps.

Poui
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi, thanks for the response and clarification.
Here is the issue I have :
We're a team that have a lot of projects, but each person works on his projects with a small part of the team, most of the time 3 ~ 4.
The issue is that everyone automatically gets on his Dropbox the new created folder and I want to make that folder only accessible to the person who made the project and his related Teams
I thought the best way to do it was to "unshare" the folder, so it disappears, then mount it for the specified user.

Do you think there is a more optimal way to do it ?

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi again @Poui,

In general, for either team or personal accounts, you can share project folder between team member/users and that folder will be hidden for all other that don't participate to particular folder sharing. For team account, it might be easier a project folder to be created by the admin and give to desired team members (project participants) access to there. 🤔 The choice is yours.

Need more support?