cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bearer Token

Bearer Token

K2R400
New member | Level 2

I have a Bearer Token that I got (I don't remember how) a few years ago, a Token that I would now like to change for security reasons. In the web interface, I can't find anywhere to generate a new Token (I don't have any app created and I have a token that currently works). Can I create a new Token and deactivate the old one (or not)?
Thanks in advance for your feedback

2 Replies 2

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@K2R400 wrote:

... Can I create a new Token and deactivate the old one (or not)?

Hi @K2R400,

You can deactivate old one, but cannot create new long lived access token! Long lived access token issuing is dropped for long time already. For long term access you need to handle refresh token and short lived access token.

Hope this clarifies matter.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@K2R400 Ð—дравко is correct; you can revoke an existing access token. One way to do so is to call /2/auth/token/revoke using the access token. (You can use the API v2 Explorer to make the call if you want.) Note that this can't be undone.

And as they said, Dropbox now issues short-lived access tokens, not long-lived access tokens. For long-term access, apps should use refresh tokens. Refer to the following resources for information on the current authorization functionality that you can use to get new access tokens and refresh tokens:

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?