cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Associating a new file format with our custom application.

Associating a new file format with our custom application.

Srinivas P.3
New member | Level 1

Hello,

We have a new file format created for our application. So, our customers in their end would have Dropbox installed and will get these new files.

So, the usage would be that first time when the users get these files and click on it, Dropbox should suggest that the application to read this file is available at "xyz.com" so that they can download it from there and install it.

Is there a way to add new suggestions to dropbox?

Regards,

Srinivas

8 Replies 8

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

[Cross-linking for reference: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/34185754/is-there-a-way-to-add-a-new-file-format-association-in-... ]

Do you mean you'd like a way to have the Dropbox clients (e.g., web, desktop, and mobile) recommend/link to your app when users browse to a file of a particular type? This isn't currently possible, but we'll consider this a feature request.

Srinivas P.3
New member | Level 1

Hello Gregory,

So we have an application that reads 3D Pointlcoud data and we have a new file format for this.

Our business team guys want to talk to someone out there in Dropbox Co. Is it possible to to arrange it? How should we approach? Whom to contact. We are a small startup based out of Toronto, CA

Any help would be invaluable.

Thanks!

Srinivas

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

If you'd like to contact our business development team, you can do so here:

https://www.dropbox.com/contact_bizdev

Srinivas P.3
New member | Level 1

Answering to your question, yes we need a software recommendation for a file format in the dropbox client(any os).

Thanks!

Srinivas P.3
New member | Level 1

Thanks for the update. I shall forward this to our business team. So, if this is considered for a feature how long will it take before it is rolled out?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

I've sent this along as a request, but I can't promise if or when it may be implemented.

Srinivas P.3
New member | Level 1

Cool. Thanks for the information.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

I just wanted to follow up on this thread to let you know about a new feature called "Extensions" you may be interested in. It's a way for third party web applications to register certain file type extensions so that users of the app can easily open files of that type in the app from the Dropbox web site. You can find information on it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/lp/developers/reference/extensions-guide

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Srinivas P.3 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?