cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

API Upload .HEIC and convert to JPG

API Upload .HEIC and convert to JPG

bossgolfer
Helpful | Level 5

I am using the API to upload images and make them public. I get the public link back and embed in my application. ALL GOOD.

Now I am looking to allow .HEIC uploads. I don't see anything in the API to cause the conversion. So, I put automation on my parent folder and that seems to create another duplicate photo converted to JPG. At that point I assume I have lost the public link and I have duplicate files. 

I am looking for any pointers here.....

thanks in advance.

5 Replies 5

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

The Dropbox API accepts uploads of files of any type (including both but not limited to jpg and heic). The Dropbox API does not do file conversions for you, but as you found you can manually set up automations on dropbox.com.

Using automations doesn't change how the Dropbox API works. If you wish, you can still use the Dropbox API to create shared links for any particular file, whether that's a file you uploaded using the API, or a file created via an automation.

If you want to use the API to detect the creation of new files, check out the Detecting Changes Guide.

bossgolfer
Helpful | Level 5

yes, thanks. I saw that it can be done, but it does seem to break the workflow for the end user that way. My current workflow lets user upload in the Salesforce UI and part two is to make and return the public link then I store that in Salesforce. Using folder automation, I am guessing I would have to know that its has run and created a new file. How do I know which file is correct and I assume I would have to maybe listen for an event etc. All messy as far as the workflow goes. I was HOPING I could either set the automation to REPLACE the HEIC with the JPG and keep the SHARE...or tell the Upload to Convert it OR have a Viewer URL option to say covert. Seems like a broken play to me right now unless I am missing something on the implementation you are suggesting (thank you Apple)

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

That's correct, the API itself only accepts the upload of whatever data you send. It does not offer conversions or report back on any automations that may be running in the folder. The automation does not replace the original file, so if you want a link to the converted file, you'll need to detect the creation of that file and then get a link to that.

bossgolfer
Helpful | Level 5

Hmm.. not ideal. If you all have an ideas/enhancement request system please consider adding a request for a more seamless/flowing handling of being able to tell the upload API to convert this HEIC file automatically upon upload or something similar. Thanks for the response. D

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the feedback! I'll pass it along, but I can't promise if or when that might be implemented.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    bossgolfer Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?