cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

409 restricted_content being returned for files which are not restricted

409 restricted_content being returned for files which are not restricted

sfbrad
Explorer | Level 4

I believe there is a probem with how file contents are hashed to determine whether content is restricted for API downloads.

Here is an exmaple file which is 8 octets long and contains the string "target/" followed by a newline charecter, i.e.:

$ od -c TestRestrictedContent
0000000    t   a   r   g   e   t   /  \n                               

Clearly, this file cannot be restricted, but I cannot download via the API. The response I get is:

< HTTP/1.1 409 path/restricted_content/
< X-Dropbox-Request-Id: 10d9c8fff32950e657a05901aa77bcd8

{
    "error_summary": "path/restricted_content/",
    "error": {
        ".tag": "path",
        "path": {
            ".tag": "restricted_content"
        }
    }
}

5 Replies 5

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for the report! This should be working properly now.

sfbrad
Explorer | Level 4

This file works now (thanks), but the problem is... I have 10+ other files with the same problem that are returning restricted_content via the API which are not copyrighted or restricted. You may have done a spot fix for that one file, but I believe you need a better hashing algorithm to spot truly restricted files since there seem to be some false positives.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for the feedback! Please feel free to report any other issues as you did with the first and we'll be happy to look into them. (You can post here, or you can open a ticket if you'd prefer to share privately: https://www.dropbox.com/developers/contact )

AlexMikhalev
New member | Level 2

Bumped into the same issue, when moving away from Dropbox - I have a 2.5 TB of backups in Dropbox and I want to move it to S3 Glacier before the expiry date for the Pro plan (8th March). I am using rclone and I observe the following errors:

```

Error String: 2021-02-18 20:53:58 ERROR : datamac/sci-blog.com_backup/karine-art.com/en/MURALS_files/MURALSIE.css: Failed to copy: failed to open source object: path/restricted_content/..
2021-02-18 20:53:58 ERROR : datamac/sci-blog.com_backup/karine-art.com/en/MURALS_files/MURALSMoz.css: Failed to copy: failed to open source object: path/restricted_content/..
2021-02-18 20:53:58 ERROR : datamac/sci-blog.com_backup/karine-art.com/ru/Linogravura_files/LinogravuraMoz.css: Failed to copy: failed to open source object: path/restricted_content/.
2021-02-18 20:53:58 ERROR : datamac/sci-blog.com_backup/karine-art.com/ru/Linogravura_files/LinogravuraIE.css: Failed to copy: failed to open source object: path/restricted_content/...

```

So the copyright tool worked against my own backup when I was trying to retrieve it. So I no longer have confidence that backup of the website will work (I am pretty sure it would not). I believe the consistency of customers data should be the primary concern of dropbox and usage of copyright tool should be limited to shared or public folders (or not at all). 

As a customer, I am deeply dissatisfied with dropbox recent development and hence I am voting with my feet - after being Pro user for over 10 years and joining dropbox during early beta. 

I have raised this issue with support and I hope dropbox engineers can fix this issue before 8th March.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@AlexMikhalev Thanks for the feedback! We appreciate you taking the time to write this up. I'm sharing this with the team.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    AlexMikhalev New member | Level 2
    sfbrad Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?