cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revoke get_temporary_link

Revoke get_temporary_link

julio_diniz_perdigao
Explorer | Level 3

Hello!

Is there an way to revoke a get_temporary_link without wait it to expire? I tried to use revoke_shared_link, but seems that it works only for shared link e not for a temporary link.

Error while trying to use revoke_shared_link: {"error_summary": "shared_link_malformed/.", "error": {".tag": "shared_link_malformed"}}

Thanks in advanced!

13 Replies 13

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

No, there isn't a way to proactively revoke a temporary link, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though.

julio_diniz_perdigao
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks @Greg-DB!

Do you know if there is a limit of creating a shared link for a specific file using create_shared_link_with_settings? I mean, can i create and revoke as many links for the file, at same time?

Did not find answers in docs.

thanks again!

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Unfortunately Dropbox does not support creating multiple shared links for the same item, but I'll pass this along as a feature request as well.

julio_diniz_perdigao
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Greg-DB !

Is this normal? Look at this scenario....

Get an link using the endpoint "get_temporary_link" of video file. After that, I removed the file permanently, but the temporary link still working and the video plays normal. Tested with different types of web browsers.

Thanks!

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@julio_diniz_perdigao wrote:

Is this normal? Look at this scenario....

Hi @julio_diniz_perdigao,

No, it's not normal if it is. How exactly are you testing it? 🤔 Is there any chance some cache to confuse you? I just tested and it works as expected. Can you provide exact steps for reproduction.

julio_diniz_perdigao
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Здравко ,

I don't think is some cache, cause I make tests with 2 different browsers and opening with private window.

But, may this is the thing. This file was created from another that still exists on my dropbox. I used the endpoints copy-reference/get and  copy-reference/save. Greg said on other topic that, the copy and copy-reference a very similar, but I think now that copy-reference keeps linked with the original file, right?

julio_diniz_perdigao
Explorer | Level 3

I removed all files, include the original uploaded without api and the link bellow still working at the moment of writing this message.

https://uce808f6584be71943894d013559.dl.dropboxusercontent.com/cd/0/get/CVmHSviizo_y76G3z5LQCXGjqjhM...

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@julio_diniz_perdigao These temporary links refer to the data itself, and so may continue working even once the file has been deleted, but this behavior is not guaranteed.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@Greg-DB wrote:

... These temporary links refer to the data itself, and so may continue working ...

@julio_diniz_perdigao  Yes, as I investigated a bit more it seems like that's the rule. Whenever link fails after permanent deletion, it's rather by mistake - status code > 500 (unstable core work).

@Greg-DB, this means that there is no permanent deletion actually. 🤷 Just invisibility in user accessible places (including deleted files). 🤦 In fact this is a LIE! Dropbox doesn't remove the files permanently.

One more cons.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    julio_diniz_perdigao Explorer | Level 3
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?