cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Property Groups in DropBox UI.

Property Groups in DropBox UI.

dhruvin
Explorer | Level 4

Hi,

There is an API endpoint that allows us to add property groups to files ad folders. But I'm not able to find any option on the dropbox web app to do the same.
Is there any setting I need to enable to add property groups to files using WebApp?

Please see this document.

2 Replies 2

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@dhruvin wrote:

There is an API endpoint that allows us to add property groups to files ad folders. But I'm not able to find any option on the dropbox web app to do the same.

Hi @dhruvin,

Where do you know that UI doesn't use those features? 🧐 I'm pretty sure it does. Such properties are internal for any application and usually keep application specific data that users don't usually need direct access to. Users use such properties represented as specific files features (i.e. indirectly).

@dhruvin wrote:

Is there any setting I need to enable to add property groups to files using WebApp?

As I said, you can add different files properties to your application; there is no way to change other applications files properties or access them! Anyway, you're setting/changing such properties all the time while you're working with the Dropbox WebApp; just it's not explicitly. It's related to the Dropbox' internal application design (either web or standalone). You can take a look a bit above the access point you linked to in your previous post:

Templates are owned either by a user/app pair or team/app pair. Templates and their associated properties can't be accessed by any app other than the app that created them, and even then, only when the app is linked with the owner of the template (either a user or team).

That's it. 😉

In spite, would be good idea a small change/exception, so other applications to be able access/see (if not modify) Dropbox' applications specific properties, so can have "full/better picture" of the stored data. Such a way would be the only way an application to see some file metadata inaccessible now - metadata that Dropbox' standalone application does read/set/access from/to files when does access/sync them (for instance).

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@dhruvin The file properties functionality on the Dropbox API is meant as a way for third party apps to set and get custom information for use by the third party app itself, e.g., to show in its own UI. Dropbox doesn't expose this information in the official Dropbox UI, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though.

If you're looking for something like this accessible both via the Dropbox API and web site, check out the tags functionality and API documentation.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?