cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to create a third-party app in dropbox

Not able to create a third-party app in dropbox

angshuman
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I am having an issue with creating a third-party app in dropbox. I am using "Cloud Connector" as app name but dropbox says "This app name is already taken". But I don't see any app with that name in my account. I used a different name and faced the same issue. Please let me know how to proceed.

5 Replies 5

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Our app name system is first-come first-served, and please note that app names are unique across Dropbox, whether or not a particular app using a name is in production. That means that if another developer has already registered a Dropbox API app name, you cannot also register it, so you'd need to use a different name that isn't already registered.

angshuman
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, Thanks for your reply. I think there is some kind of issue in the registration process. I myself tried to register the apps with "Cloud Connector" and "Sharp Cloud Connector" names. First time I did not get this error when I used the same name. So it looks to me that dropbox has saved those names and due to some reason the apps are not created (not sure why). Second time onwards it shows me the message that it is already taken. Can you please check if those two apps are created under <redacted email address> account. If yes then it is me who created those apps.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

If you already registered some app names then you will not be able to register them again. You can see all of the apps you own under a given account on the App Console while signed in to that account. If you do not see the apps in question, that indicates that they are registered under another account, so you'd need to sign in to the relevant account to access them.

angshuman
Explorer | Level 3

Is their a way to confirm if those are created under <redacted email address> account?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

I can't disclose account information, but as long as you have access to that account, you can sign in to it, and then see all of the apps owned by that account on the App Console.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    angshuman Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?