cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Access Token Validity

Dropbox Access Token Validity

saxsax
New member | Level 2

i created an app using dropbox access token for my wordpress website  but when i right click on the website page I can see the access token.

If someone has access to this access token, will they be able to access my dropbox  and its files ?

3 Replies 3

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Yes, an access token enables access to an account via the Dropbox API to the extent allowed by the app's permission. For this reason, you should never share or expose an access token for your own account to others users. Users should only ever have access to their own access token(s).

Given that your access token has been published, I recommend revoking it. 

For the functionality you're looking for, you can instead have the users upload to your own server first, and then upload to Dropbox from your server. That way, the access token only needs to exist on your server, not exposed to the end-users.

Alternatively, you could use /2/files/get_temporary_upload_link (again from your server) to pass down a temporary upload link on the page so the file can be uploaded directly from the browser without exposing the access token client-side. (Note that this endpoint is still in preview though.)

saxsax
New member | Level 2

Thanks... if I delete the app, will that revoke the access token as well ?

I have deleted the app from my acccount 

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Yes, deleting the app will also prevent the access token from working.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    saxsax New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?