cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display file upload progress in javascript api

Display file upload progress in javascript api

h_vohra
Explorer | Level 4

I am using the Javascript API to upload my files in dropbox on my website. The files are getting uploaded properly, but I am unable to display the progress of the upload. I have to wait for a longer time on the page for bigger files till the File Uploaded text gets displayed.

5 Replies 5

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

The Dropbox API v2 JavaScript SDK does not offer a way to check the progress on a transfer unfortunately, e.g., for filesUpload. I'll pass this along as a feature request to the team but I can't promise if or when that might be implemented.

If you're using "upload sessions" though, where you upload files in pieces, you can keep track of how much you've uploaded between each piece:

If you're not already using that, it may be a significant amount or work to switch to it and implement your progress tracking.

h_vohra
Explorer | Level 4

@Greg-DB  Thank you for the response. Currently, I am using the filesUpload function. Can you please share link for a working example of fileUploadSession.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

We have an example of using upload sessions in the JavaScript SDK here: https://github.com/dropbox/dropbox-sdk-js/blob/b2353edeb221ec17b8e70a1d8fd4799e2f1f031d/examples/jav...

h_vohra
Explorer | Level 4

@Greg-DB  Yes, I am using the same example, but there is no progress bar code in the example.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Yes, that is just an example of using the upload sessions methods themselves. It doesn't have a progress bar implemented, so you'd need to implement it in your code and hook up your own progress bar. For example, between each filesUploadSessionStart/filesUploadSessionAppendV2/filesUploadSessionFinish call, you could update the state of your progress bar based on the current 'offset' value.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    h_vohra Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?