cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: "Save HEIC photos as JPG" not working

"Save HEIC photos as JPG" not working

Romf
Explorer | Level 3

Hi All.

I often send pictures from my iphone to my dropbox using the dropbox iphone APP.

When uploading there is an option to "save HEIC Photos as JPG".

Unfortunately for me this option never worked.

When a photo on the iphone was edited, it is always uploaded by the dropbox app as HEIC even though the option to save as JPG is checked. It has been like that for as long as I can remember.

I'm using an iphone 11pro max with the latest IOS and Dropbox app.

13 Replies 13

Rich
Super User II

@Romf wrote:

When a photo on the iphone was edited, it is always uploaded by the dropbox app as HEIC even though the option to save as JPG is checked.

Are you manually uploading these photos after editing them or are you using the automatic Camera Uploads feature? I believe that setting only applies to photos that are uploaded automatically by Camera Uploads.

Romf
Explorer | Level 3
Thanks,
Indeed, I am manually importing them.
But the setting is not in the general settings, it appears in the dialog box for uploading the pictures. So it doesn't really make sense why it wouldn't work here (else why show this option there?)
Thanks

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Romf, the option to automatically convert images to JPG is only on the automated camera uploads setting, as @Rich said. 

When you manually import files, they are uploaded as is, meaning they would be uploaded as HEIC files. 

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Romf
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks.

Then I think you should change the way it appears as it is very confusing and looks like a bug.

I never used the auto upload.

I go to "+">"Upload photos">choose one or multiple photos (so this is NOT the auto upload feature at all), and there right at the bottom is an option "save HEIC files as JPG", visible and turned ON, but in the end this option that appears all the time at the moment when you manually import photos doesn't work when you manually import photos. Quite surprising in my opinion.

Thanks for the answers 🙂

eliasbencho79
New member | Level 2

Hi,

I have pretty much the same issue.

I do not want to automatically upload pictures on my camera roll to my Dropbox, so Camera Uploads is off.

But I still want to be able to upload some select pictures on my Dropbox.

The problem is the "Save HEIC photos JPG" option is only available within the "Camera Uploads" interface.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/View-download-and-export/Why-are-my-iPhone-photos-imported-as-heic-f...

Selecting it does not change the format of manually uploaed pictures.

As a result, my manually saved pictures are stored as HEIC and I cannot access them on my Windows PC.

Could the Dropbox team update the software so we can select the JPG format for manually saved pictures as well?

Thanks!

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/View-download-and-export/Why-are-my-iPhone-photos-imported-as-heic-f...

eliasbencho79
New member | Level 2

Addition to my previous comment: I just tried to temporarly turn "camera uploads" ON, to see whether the active "save as .jpg" option would also work for manually saved pictures.

It did not work, as options for automatic and manual uploads seem to be unrelated to each other.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @eliasbencho79, thank you for your feedback on this. It's been noted in our system.

While we're at it though, have you considered using an automation to convert the file type from HEIC to JPG?

Let us know if that would help!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

saraski
New member | Level 2

Hi,

I've turned on Automation for converting image files from .heic to .jpg for a folder. 

None of the files are converting whether they are currently imported or already existing files.

Even with the "apply to current files" selected, nothing works.

Can you please support?

Thank you,

Sarah

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @saraski, sorry to hear you're having issues with this. 

Could you please try another browser and let us know if you get the same results?

Thanks so much! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?