cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versions missing from yesterday's version history

Versions missing from yesterday's version history

g v.
Collaborator | Level 10

Hi, I modified a file yesterday and today, and would like to go back to a version I had yesterday around noon. I restored to two different time points, the last one at 12:15, but they were not the correct version. I want to see the restore from other time points, but all time points past 10 am suddenly disappeared. How do I get back a chronological list of all versions, restored or not? Thank you. 

5 Replies 5

Mark
Super User II

How do you mean disappeared? They should all appear as long as you have a version with revisions available 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

g v.
Collaborator | Level 10

I mean the versions literally disappeared from the list. I restored the version from yesterday 12:15 and it wasn't the right one yet. So I looked for another version, but they stop yesterday at 10:xx. 

gv_0-1723307224131.png

Mark
Super User II

Thanks for screenshots 🙂

There is one showing at 9.51am but if nothing before that then nothing was saved to Dropbox. You can also double check that at www.dropbox.com/events to see updates and changes to files. 

For whatever reason the update didn't get sync'd to Dropbox - not connected to internet? internet issue? Word not releasing the file lock correctly? Not hitting save etc. However, if there is nothing on that list or events Dropbox never got it I'm afraid 😞

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

g v.
Collaborator | Level 10

Thanks for your answer - but then I would not have been able to restore to a 12:15 version from that day. It was there before, and disappeared afterwards. I have no screen shot of this, but I was typing and saving continuously from 10 to 12 so there was a very long list of versions. (I hit save every few seconds and I type quickly). The list continued as expected and I was able to restore, but just once. I forgot to save a version before I made a certain set of changes.  

Where things could have gone wrong is, before the restore I made a copy of the current state of the file, since I did not want to discard all changes, just keep a previous version. I used restore on the "original" (since only that one has a history to restore) and continued to work on the copy. 

Is it possible to download a bunch of old versions instead of restoring? This would have solved my problem more elegantly. Then I could have downloaded a bunch of old versions with a date-time stamp and screened them with QuickLook to very quickly find the correct version. 

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

I’m afraid that’s not possible, @g v.. When going to the version history section, you can only preview the older versions available on the website or select one directly and roll back your file to that version.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    g v. Collaborator | Level 10
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?