cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Missing Files

The desktop app no longer throws an error, but now my files are missing.

crsutton7
Explorer | Level 3

I'll try this again as my first attempt said it failed authentication ... I got a new laptop in March/April and downloaded Dropbox to the new laptop. I migrated the files from my old laptop. Since then, all the documents that I've created/downloaded have not synced (to my phone, in this instance). I uninstalled Dropbox and reinstalled in several time, as a matter of fact, due to issues with a current file named Dropbox. It wouldn't rename it. I got frustrated and left it alone last night. Returning to it today, it seemed to have gotten itself straightened out. I was no longer getting the message about the file name, and it said i was logged in. Well, come to find out that all my files from March/April to date are missing. I have no clue where they are; however, there are very import files/folders among them. What do I do?

3 Replies 3

Nate_C
Super User

Hello, sorry to hear about your troubles with missing files. Can you provide some more details?

When you migrated files from your old laptop, how did you perform the migration? Did it involve Dropbox?

When you say there was a "current file named Dropbox", do you mean there was a folder named "Dropbox"? And is that where the files you migrated were stored?

You mentioned that files have not synced to your phone. Do you mean that when you open the Dropbox app on your phone, you do not see the files that you see in the Dropbox folder on your computer? What do you see if you log into the Dropbox website, are any of the files there? https://www.dropbox.com/home

crsutton7
Explorer | Level 3
My apologies … I migrated via usb (I believe) to the Dropbox app I had installed on the new laptop.

Yes, it was a folder, not file, and that was the destination of files from the old laptop.

The files on my laptop are not on the app in my phone. After this debacle, I could only see what was on the old laptop from the Dropbox website.

In the meantime, before looking for a really tall bridge (j/k), I tried a system restore. Of course, that had never been set up. I’m about to restore everything via carbonate, but that’s literally going to take days.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

@crsutton7, you don’t see your missing files if you visit your Events and Deleted files page, correct?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?