cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Tag Option Not Showing Up

Tags not showing up?

roxyazar
Explorer | Level 3

One of the people who has access to our shared folder added tags to images within a folder a few days ago. I am ready to finish up a project based on those tags, but I cannot find where the tags are and searching my tags does not show up anything. The tags themselves show up in the search bar, but no images. Next to the images, it says the last edits to the files were by the person who tagged them. I watched him tag everything myself, too. We were both using Dropbox on our desktops. Why can't I search for the tags? I tried another browser and clearing the cache.

21 Replies 21

KA2022
New member | Level 2

Tried in an incognito Chrome browser and the tag option still isn't appearing? Capture.JPG

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @KA2022, thanks for the screenshot! 

Do you see the option to # Add a tag in the right-side panel? 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Rich
Super User II

@KA2022 wrote:

Tried in an incognito Chrome browser and the tag option still isn't appearing? 

4875f1258dd1e09ab0fd00f65184fad5.png

babb464cb0ccdaa7c44e20336d79d52f.png

Chris1223
New member | Level 2

Hi, I added tags in dropbox inside a photo folder, then I copied the photos to a share folder where I want to share with another group. The copied photos in that new folder are no longer showing tags. What happen to the tags? Shouldn't the tags I added show on global level? By the way, the original photos with tags I created I can see the tags are there. Any thoughts?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Chris1223, welcome to our Community! 

I tested it on my end too. If you copy the content to a different folder, then the new copy doesn't inherit the tags of the initial file. 

It only does if you move the folder.

I hope this helps!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Chris1223
New member | Level 2

Hi Meagan, thanks for checking, the main purpose of using dropbox is to create a library of photos, we want to add keyword and tags so we can do search and share by copying photo to a new folder. It doesn't make sense to re-tag after initial tagging.

Any chance Dropbox will update this feature to inherit the tags of the initial file soon? I think this will add great benefit for many users like us.  

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Chris1223, we don't have a time estimate as of right now. 

In any case, your feedback regarding this has been very valuable and I will pass on your comments to the relevant departments so that we can further improve our product. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Sharon-at-trellis
New member | Level 2

Hi,  I have recently persuaded our team to add tags to the best photos that we have in our team folder - we have thousands.  So everyone has taken the time to do this but when I search using the tags either nothing shows up or only a handful of images.  I have tried using Dropbox online and on the desktop app  I have used different browsers and incognito tab but still not working. It is getting really embarassing!

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Sorry to see that you're having trouble with the tagging feature, @Sharon-at-trellis.

If you manually navigate to a tagged file, do you see the tag or is it missing?

Could you send us a couple of screenshots showing this behavior, while making sure you hide any personal info on the screenshot?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Phil B 2
New member | Level 2

Hey Hannah,

I'm having the same issue. I added the files to dropbox and tagged them, then shared them with a second user giving them full edit access and the original tags aren't searchable of visible. 

It was all done through the browser and both accounts are logged in. 

Does it take a while for the information to pull through?

I've attached grabs from the owner account and the account it has been shared with.
Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 14.02.14.pngScreenshot 2023-12-06 at 14.08.16.png

Need more support?