cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Stay organized and save time with new folder automation updates

Stay organized and save time with new folder automation updates

derrickyee
Dropbox Product Manager

Hey Dropbox Community! 

We are so excited to introduce new enhancements to the folder automation features to help you stay organized. We’re introducing multiple step automations (up to five), including within subfolders. Now, you can configure multiple automations on selected folders and subfolders to automatically convert uploaded files to PDFs, rename files, add watermarks, and more.

Get started by selecting “+Create” under the search bar, then select “Folder,” and finally select “Automated folder.”

Tell us about your experience with Dropbox's Folder Automation Features in the comments below! Or comment down below any features you'd love to see to help you stay organized.

Folder Automation Updates.png

7 Replies 7

Graham
Community Manager

Thanks for the update @derrickyee, this is awesome! I'm really looking forward to checking out some of the automations, especially adding watermarks and renaming files.

I'll be using these for photography projects and I'd love to know what everyone else plans to use them for. Let me know by leaving a comment below!

margdoigh
New member | Level 2

Where can I find more information about automations? I need basic information such as;

- What is an autom-  ation?

- Why did Dropbox create them?

- How do people use them?

- What is especially useful about them,?

- What are some precautions, if any, to take in using them?

- What can a person do to get the most out of using automations?

margdoigh
New member | Level 2

Can folder automations be used to automate the file naming process? For example, I would like to use file names that have a standard format, beginning with the date the file was created followed by a word or two referring to the content. Could that naming approach be automated? Could folder automations or another tool provide the names for me?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @margdoigh, have you tried experimenting using automations on your own Dropbox account to see if they satisfy your requirements?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

margdoigh
New member | Level 2

Thanks for the suggestion. I have just looked at that option and feel uneasy using it. Is there a video tutorial I could watch to help me better understand how the process works? I wouldn't want to use it on live files and folders until I understand it a little better.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

I'm afraid there's no video tutorial on this @margdoigh 

You could try the automations with a newly created folder for testing purposes though.

Let us know if you need anything else. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

abuislam5
New member | Level 2

This is an exciting update, Derrick! The ability to set up multiple step automations, especially within subfolders, is a game changer for staying organized. I can see it making a big difference in workflow efficiency. One feature I’d love to see in the future is the ability to set up conditional automations based on file types or tags. Looking forward to trying out these new features! Thanks for the update!

Need more support?