cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in learning how media industry leaders use Dropbox Replay? Register for our webinar here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renaming failed -"folder or file somewhere open."

Renaming failed -"folder or file somewhere open."

Pichler1508
Helpful | Level 5

I want to rename a folder. It worked with other folders but not with this folder. It says, "folder or file somewhere open." I am not aware that I have any files open. I shut down the computer - then also, all files are closed? Or am I wrong?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Pichler1508
Helpful | Level 5

Dear Maher,

I appreciate your support. There are many hints, maybe I need to use them in the future. After not trying for 2 days, by surprise it worked today. Maybe synchronisation issue?

However, thanks and greetings

Otto

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

maher1982
Super User

Hi Pichler, 

If you're trying to rename a folder in Dropbox and receiving a message that the folder or file is open somewhere, it usually means that another user or application is currently accessing or using that file.

To resolve this issue, you can try the following steps, maybe one of them could help:

1. Make sure that you're the only user accessing the folder. Close any programs or applications that may be using files within the folder.
2. If you're collaborating with others on the same folder, check with them to ensure they're not currently accessing or editing any files within the folder.
3. Ensure that you have a stable internet connection. Unstable connections may cause synchronisation issues and prevent you from renaming the folder.
4. If you've checked the above steps and you're still unable to rename the folder, try signing out of Dropbox and signing back in. This action can sometimes resolve temporary synchronisation issues.
5. Restart your computer and try renaming the folder again. Restarting can help close any background processes that may be accessing the file.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Pichler1508, welcome to our Community! 

I wanted to jump in here, and ask if you're still experiencing this issue, and if you'd like for us to have a closer look together. 

Can you clarify the OS you're using on your end? Feel free to send me a screenshot of the error message you get too.

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Pichler1508
Helpful | Level 5

After I had tried many ways, I finally gave up and went to this board. I tried to today the renaming action again and I see it worked. Why I don't know, but it is fine.

Thanks for getting involved, and maybe you helped already.

best regards

otto

Pichler1508
Helpful | Level 5

Dear Maher,

I appreciate your support. There are many hints, maybe I need to use them in the future. After not trying for 2 days, by surprise it worked today. Maybe synchronisation issue?

However, thanks and greetings

Otto

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Pichler1508 Helpful | Level 5
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    maher1982 Super User
What do Dropbox user levels mean?