cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovering deleted files after 30days

Recovering deleted files after 30days

Vedavathi P.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi,
I am unable to see deleted files. How can I get deleted files after 30days?

23 Replies 23

Cindy M.11
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hello,

I am in the same situation as Vedavathi above.  My husband is the owner of a shared folder, and another user deleted some files.  My husband also would be the owner of the files and was the one who uploaded them to the shared folder.  He does not have the extended file history.  Is there any way to restore the files past 30 days?  I thought that only the original owner of the files can permanently delete them.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!

CGM

Richard P.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

Is there any way to restore the files past 30 days?

No, not if you didnt have Extended Version History at the time of the deletion and continuously since.

I thought that only the original owner of the files can permanently delete them.

But that's not what you say happened in your post - "permanently deleting" files means the user carries out an action to delete the file permanently from the version history.  But in the situation you describe, 30 days simply passed from the time of deletion, in which case the files are naturally no longer kept for recovery, the files do not have to be deleted by the owner for this to happen.

Cindy M.11
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi, Richard.

Thank you very much for your response.

Basically, my mother-in-law deleted a bunch of photos from our shared folder because she had no idea that this would remove them from everyone's dropbox folder as well.  (Yes, she's not exactly tech-savvy!)  So, presumably, she just did a simple delete of the files.  I can find the deletion event in my Dropbox account at Dropbox.com, and she deleted them on June 3rd.

Do we have any hope of getting these photos back?

CGM

Richard P.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

You can log a support ticket at www.dropbox.com/support but I wouldn't hold your breath I'm afraid.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Do we have any hope of getting these photos back?

Unlikely - as thats over thirty days ago I'm afraid. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Brian H.20
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I had the identical problem as Cindy M.  I uploaded files thinking I was safe sharing the folder. A coworker deleted it. Now it has been 30 days. My files are gone. Unbelievable. Painful.  Weeks of work down the shoot.  Wondering if there is file recovery software I can run that will allow me to recover from the local drive that my dropbox was on. I dont see them in the Trash folder.  Where do files go when they are deleted. Has anyone had any experience recapturing deleted Dropbox files from local drive with software?

Robert S.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

... I uploaded files thinking I was safe sharing the folder. A coworker deleted it. Now it has been 30 days. My files are gone. Unbelievable. Painful. Weeks of work down the shoot...

Where are your backups? Especially If you are a business.

Don't rely on a syncing tool to do a backup tools work.

If the data is that critical, why isn't it backed up properly to multiple locations?

Delitaru
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

There is a way to recover files after 30 days from your local files but it is not guaranteed.

First, if someone you shared with has not synced with dropbox after the delete, the files should still be there. That person should NOT open dropbox (or close it immediately when you start up), go to the dropbox folder (%HOMEPATH%\Dropbox\) and copy the folder out before opening dropbox.

If not, then there is still a way to recover files when they are deleted from a sync. Everyone who has access to the folder can try to restore files from the cache. Unfortunately, files in the cache do not retain their folder structure so the first option is preferable.

If its not in the cache, then im afraid that your files are lost.

BellyBlack
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

The data on our cell phones, including contacts, photos, videos are almost the most important thing for us. However, we may lose our data in many cases. For example, accidental deletion, improper operation, system failure and so on. So the problem that many users are encountering with is that how to recover deleted files on your cell phone. Commonly it is not easy to do that, but with the help of Android Data Recovery, it becomes simple and effective.
It is one of the world's most famous recovery tools which is designed for users to recover deleted files on the cell phone. The software is available for almost all Android devices and what is more, it can restore all types of your lost data no matter what the cause is.

yabochaos
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I had the files originally in a Business account, but after deleted them, dropped back to a standard account. Can I still recover them?
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Robert S. Super User alumni
    Brian H.20 New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
    Richard P. Super User alumni
    Cindy M.11 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?