cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on Organizing Between Desktop and Dropbox

Question on Organizing Between Desktop and Dropbox

SusieSarasota
Helpful | Level 5

Hi, I seem to remember that years ago, instead of moving actual files/folders from my PC to Dropbox, I simply added pointers to those files/folders in Dropbox.  That way, I didn't have to have two completely separate filing systems - one on my PC and one on Dropbox.  Also, if I wanted the files/folders accessible on both my Dropbox and on my PC, I didn't have to make and maintain duplicates.  (However, my memory could be flawed...)

My current Dropbox goal, as a senior in my late 70s, is to have important papers (e.g., wills, insurance policy info, financial info, etc.) easily accessible to family members in the event of my death.  To that end, I have created a filing system under My Documents (Windows 11) to make it easy for people to find the information they would need.  However, I would like to also have it accessible through Dropbox, in case a family member is located elsewhere and does not have access to my PC (I will share the Dropbox files/folders with family members who might need it).

If I understand correctly, creating shortcuts and placing them in Dropbox will NOT achieve this, because Dropbox would have to have immediate access to my PC in order to open the shortcuts. 

My question is whether there is a way to achieve this goal without having to make duplicates of all the files/folders and then worry about keeping them in sync.

Anybody know if this can be done?

I use the free version of Dropbox on Windows 11 and Android.

Thank you!

1 Reply 1

Rich
Super User II

@SusieSarasota wrote:

... instead of moving actual files/folders from my PC to Dropbox, I simply added pointers to those files/folders in Dropbox.

That's not how Dropbox works. In order for your files to sync to Dropbox you've always had to copy or move them to the Dropbox folder on your local drive. There was a point where Dropbox worked with symlinks, which allowed it to sync files outside of the Dropbox folder, but it was not supported officially and that ability ended years ago.

I have created a filing system under My Documents ... However, I would like to also have it accessible through Dropbox ...

The only way to do this is to copy or move the files to the Dropbox folder. Dropbox is meant to replace folders such as My Documents. The idea is that you MOVE your files into the local Dropbox folder and work on them from there.

If you insist on continuing to use the Documents folder, Windows has a mechanism to relocate key folders, such as Documents, to a location of your choosing. You could always move the entire folder into the Dropbox folder. That link is for Windows 10, but the process is just about the same in Windows 11.

Personally, as soon as I had Dropbox running I abandoned the use of my Documents folder. The files are still local to my computer and they sync to Dropbox so they're accessible anywhere.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?