cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Plus account demoted to basic plan, all Dropbox data lost

Plus account demoted to basic plan, all Dropbox data lost

Giulia B
Explorer | Level 4

I am paying a yearly subscription for the Plus plan - last billing for $124.51 was in September 2023. Today, my account was demoted to Basic plan, and I have lost all of my goddamn data on the Dropbox website and on my laptop Dropbox drive. Can somebody please tell me how this can happen? My billing shows no transactions. I have been a customer for many years, so how can this happen? 

Please help.

10 Replies 10

Walter
Dropbox Staff

HI there @Giulia B - sorry to hear about this.

If you've made sure that you're logged into the correct Dropbox account, could you have a look at your events page and let me know if you see any signs of your missing files there?

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Giulia B
Explorer | Level 4

CleanShot 2024-07-26 at 15.44.43@2x.png

I do not see any sign of my missing files on the website. Events link shows the above. The data on this Macbook were migrated from my old laptop a couple of months ago using Migration Tool.

I see some of my lost files on Dropbox client on Mac - I did it by right clicking on the Dropbox icon, scrolling down to recently changed files. 

I tried your "find receipt tool" (https://www.dropbox.com/payments/find_receipt), but it does not work - it recognizes the the transaction code, it asks last 4 of the CC used for billing and the expiration date, but it does not validate it / accept it.

I'd be happy to provide you with the transaction code from my CC.

Giulia B
Explorer | Level 4

This looks like a bug - Dropbox fails to recognize migrated application and data and wipes the entire account.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

It seems that you logged in a new Dropbox account instead of logging into the existing one @Giulia B 

When it comes to the look-up tool, could you try another browser and let me know if you get the same results?

Also, do you have another Dropbox account, associated with another email address of yours perhaps? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Giulia B
Explorer | Level 4

CleanShot 2024-07-26 at 17.07.45@2x.png

Entered the correct CC and expiration. Tried Firefox, Chrome, and Safari.

I have used my university staff account, removed which has been since deactivated. The email associated with this account was the one with Plus plan, which I have been logged in in the past.

Giulia B
Explorer | Level 4

Can I get telephone support #?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Giulia B, since you're having trouble with the payment lookup tool, can we send you an email, so we can investigate this internally?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Giulia B
Explorer | Level 4

Yes, please! I'm desperate to recover/regain access to my account. I need all those folders and the files within for work.

If, as Walter said, it would seem that I've logged in a new Dropbox account instead of logging into the existing one, then how the devil do I get back to the original one? That would be the removed account that, in September 2022, I changed the email of to my current email removed and upgraded to a Plus plan, paying $241.51 in Sept 2023 and Sept 2024. Please help. Email me at removed

I'm looking forward to hearing from you and getting this sorted. 

Many thanks.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Giulia B, I hope you're doing well!

I just sent you an email and I'll be happy for us to investigate further.

I'll see you there!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?